EasyCrypt – perfect email privacy service

Gass

I don't know if their claim is correct, but they back it up with a lot of statements.
Wished I could find as much information on Lavabit - Relaunch.

EasyCrypt is the first email privacy service that combines end-to-end encryption, anonymity and metadata protection at your existing email address. Featuring modern, intuitive webmail and mobile apps, EasyCrypt allows users to use email just like they normally do.

EasyCrypt subscribers continue to use their current email service and address, be it Gmail, work mail or any other email service. Email messages are stored at their existing mailboxes, encrypted end-to-end with 4096-bit PGP. EasyCrypt has zero knowledge of message content: the messages can be decrypted only on user devices using passwords known only to the users. Encryption keys are generated, managed and synchronized across the user’s fixed and mobile devices transparently for the user.

EasyCrypt users can communicate securely with external PGP users as well as with regular users. External PGP users are enabled by emailing their public key to EasyCrypt and following a simple automated verification procedure.

To protect email metadata and enable user anonymity, EasyCrypt makes innovative, user-transparent use of the Tor network. Personally identifiable metadata of email senders such as their IP address, email address and computer ID is either encrypted on the sender’s device so that it can be read only by the recipients, or suppressed if it is not needed. Email metadata is protected end-to-end and cannot be accessed by EasyCrypt or 3rd parties.

Email messages delivered via EasyCrypt are stored in the usual mailbox of the user, such as Gmail or enterprise email server. By inspecting mailboxes of an EasyCrypt user intruders will be able to learn only the user’s email address and the sizes of the messages. All other message data and metadata will be unreadable.

EasyCrypt users can opt to communicate anonymously, hiding their identity from message recipients and intruders. EasyCrypt does not know who are the authors of the messages sent through the service.
https://easycrypt.co/introducing-easycrypt-perfect-email-privacy-service/

How it works
https://easycrypt.co/how-it-works/
Under the hood
https://easycrypt.co/under-the-hood/
FAQ
https://easycrypt.co/faq/

It's a free service now, with advanced options planned and that a charge will be required for access to the advanced features. But what you're getting for free is a WOW to me. . .

Gass :D

Last edited:

Gass

@Gass unfortunately, too many links to go through all of them, but I've read the main text and it's an interesting read.
I'm sure it's a new direction to email privacy as they claim, at least to users who want the ease of this type of service combined with any other online email they've already setup and currently using as they'd normally do.
The too many links I tried to hide in a spoiler to clean up the post - but definitely are of a source to what's offered here in a simple understanding part by part.
I guess I should of told of the 6 parts course and linked only to the first.

What's interesting it's for our Russian members, that it helps them to with A law recently adopted in Russia goes further, requiring service operators to obtain encryption keys and store data and metadata for extended periods of time. Found in the "News" tab on their site dated Aug 5, 2016.

I'm not understanding, if this is still in Beta somewhat yet - as this disclaimer is given on the Home link there.
*Not included in the beta version

End-to-end metadata protection*
Perfect anonymity*

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
If you want perfect anonymity, stay off the Internet.
How much anonymity do you need anyways, we all know if 'they' want to find us, they eventually will.
So 'why keep beating a dead horse' so to speak...and keep asking for a million privacy options?
What do you do on the Internet that you want to keep SO secretive?

Gass

If you want perfect anonymity, stay off the Internet.
How much anonymity do you need anyways, we all know if 'they' want to find us, they eventually will.
So 'why keep beating a dead horse' so to speak...and keep asking for a million privacy options?
What do you do on the Internet that you want to keep SO secretive?
Hello ag_bug_finder
I trust your well and things are good.

To try and answer your question, more and more in 2017 you have to do it online now a days.
Outside of my life, I hear homework in schools are assigned online today.

Personally:
My utilities payments made, and just checking my e-statements with my bank all requires to be online for it.
SS contacts and Veterans VA Doctors appointments and a slew of others, as well confirmations or just to talk to someone in authority for help and an understanding to problems one faces in life.
All communications filter back in one form eventually to emails as the form preferred of communications to all these venues.
I can't remember the last time I called a medium to big business or organization that a hold time of a hour was not required to talk to an actual person.
Then given the advise to contact them by emails or online contact forms for the next time.
That's business in 2017.
EDITED

Last edited:

Gass

EDITED - per helpful suggestions
@ ag_bug_finder and all

Then it's not so much to anonymity but of a privacy matter.
Google, Facebook and Microsoft – makes it a lot easier for them to know every beat of your heart and our likes as well as dislikes. Who’s docile and extreme.

Focusing on Google, which realized that an individual’s personal data is incredibly valuable.
The more of it you collect, the more valuable it is. After all, if you have a good idea of what a person does and doesn’t like, where they go, what their hobbies are, and who they hang out with, then it is easy to target them with products and services that they are likely to be interested in purchasing. Cha-ching!
But what if decades of generations in a family line of data can be trapped to - what info. and traits are revealed? When it's grouped all together and not looked at in a singular user bases?

Then indeed Google recently quietly removed its own self-imposed moratorium on combining data collected via search results and via scanning customers’ emails.

So my friends, it's not so much in what is known or not, to even having hopes in anonymity, but to put a limit on what's a need to be known only bases of our personal life's - of and to whom we're actually sharing it with, (not by ease droppers mining our data). Don't I, as we all have this right? That's why I offered this Thread to your knowledge of email usage, and one company in offering hope to the common user in a simplified system to your privacy.

Someday - as it's true in these data profiles info. of our personal habits and likes-dislikes, family sickness, who turned us down for a job, an insurance claim, etc... when collected throughout the decades in a family line can be used against us or I should say our future generations - to evil measures. So why let it be trapped in the first place. They called it's function to be used for advertising purposes only, when it's not solely for that purpose now and the implications of it can be used to harm or for evil further down civilization path.

Algorithms may be used to classify us as entire families lines. Think how fast technology advances today, each bit and byte stored to be analyzed of a families data pool collected, and for what good. Knowledge is power, and absolute power is absolute corruption.
3 generations into our future may be all it takes.

How can we defend against something we don't know about or understand? It’s a very messy situation technology has put us all in, as well as personal profiling and tracking rapidly advancing, then to even think it being linked to family lines - that I have the right to at least have a say in how I regard technology usage in my life and bring attentions to yours.
No you can't just stay off-line and be in todays world and still function as a part of it, it's past that time and era now as technology won't allow it.

I'm just asking you to think about it, and if you care to share a comment please do so.
Peace on Adguard Forums, your all my friends, we're all in the Adguard family :)
Gass

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Gass please try your best to stay away from any political and conspiracy theories - they may be true or not, I have no idea, but these are not the type of discussion we want to see on our forum. Online privacy is a great topic to discuss - as long as you discuss the methods to achieve it.

In this regard, I have to ask @ag_bug_finder not to provoke Gass with such questions. 'General -> Off-topic' subforum is the perfect place for linking articles from other websites, provided they touch on a somewhat Adguard-related topic (which online privacy certainly is) and are complemented by a personal commentary (which Gass also did).

Let's end this rant here and return to EasyCrypt discussion if anyone has anything else left to say.

Gass

It means i can use it to keep my emails hidden with this app?
I'd advise you to go to the site and read to understand just what it does, and if any questions you may still have get in touch with their support. I have found out - it or their service won't work with IE browser and asked them why it's not clearly stated till one goes to the sign-up process (which fails if you have IE). They say it now included in the info on the site - but who knows?
I did see a fund raising effort they had in place that went - bust, to the 100,000 they wanted to raise, and if you can find it (web page) - you'll see the prices they are going to be charging past the "free" level of service, as it was the level of support to the fund raising tiers.

Looked good at first glance - and maybe still is, but they weren't very informative in my emails to my specific questions.
I'd give it more time to see where it ends up to quality and service level - best thing I can say is don't trust free service for emails and then one THAT's located in the USA, then read about privacy statements and provisions of the other countries where one is to be found that offers same or like encryption service to emails. Outside of US with no friendly ties to pass on users info. or account data.
Gass
EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

Gass

There is also Proton Mail, born and used at CERN in Switzerland.
Code:
www.protonmail.com
Oh dear, I only wanted to advise Adguard members of a choice here, that I've found to be very informative (on the EasyCrypt website), in all, being liken to encrypted webmail/email clients software's with add-on's/in's to PGP features from a webmail service - with a bottom line usage to all webmail accounts one has already. (No new email address is needed to be made - simply use your existing ones you have now with this EasyCrypt service).
Then in a bottom-line to the web browsers it works with, is for me and IE11 - one of my immediate roadblocks to using EasyCript. [See FAQ's (below) on - Do I need to install a browser extension? for supported web browsers.]
Thank you all. . . :) for your comments thus far.

@Bruno
I welcome your question and/or statement.
I'll counter with what I find on it's website - ok and no harm of impasse is meant otherwise.
Just the knowledge being passed on.
First I'm neither Pro or Con to using EasyCrypt or any other like service. I'm still learning what it is their all about and to the possible hype's in eachone that interests myself personally.

It's interesting to note that the EasyCrypt service and it's website have invested considerable time and resources for people in understanding of the differences for themselves, in not only EasyCrypt and to that of other like encrypted webmail/email client services. A marketing ploy of sorts or a drawing of the line in the difference? Serves as both, as I see it - though to some of you it may or may not matter.
In some ways, in having as detailed accounting of their service and the others (in comparison), to me is an underlying factor to the principles in that it gives one an insight into their mindset and of their duty felt to their account holders/users and to future customers. You make the call just what it's to mean to yourselves.

I'll now point you to these key informational resources they offer anyone caring to invest a little time to reading and learn of what's posted on their site.

Part #6
Browser-based email encryption services with transparent key management such as Protonmail and Tutanota provide excellent usability. However, their users can communicate securely and smoothly only with other subscribers of the same service. Moreover, they charge hefty fees for use of email storage above a bare minimum. Since they store your messages, liberation of data from them when switching to another solution is, at best, difficult. Consider using them if usability is your prime concern and your correspondents are also using the same service.
https://easycrypt.co/email-privacy-crash-course-part-6-make-choice/

Part #5
Protonmail and Tutanota, while doing very well on usability, limit secure communication to subscribers of their own services, and thus their people networks are very limited.

What is ubiquity and why is it important?
By ubiquity we mean the ability to communicate securely while using any email address and service.
There are three aspects to ubiquity:
(1) Ability to use an email service that you are already using, such as Gmail or your work email
(2) Ability to store messages at your existing email service rather than at a dedicated storage of a secure email service provider.
(3) Ability to use your existing email address (as you will see below, when using secure email providers this is not necessarily the same as (1)).

Unlike stand-alone PGP clients, providers of dedicated secure email services usually do not allow (1) and (2), and charge for (3) and for message storage, which can be quite expensive. Their free plans usually provide meagre allocation of message storage and do not allow (1) and (3) at all. A special concern is posed by your ability to liberate your data from such services when you decide to leave them.

Protonmail and Tutanota do poorly on both people network and ubiquity, as they limit secure communications only to their subscribers, require users to store messages at their facilities and charge fees for storage and for use of user-owned domain names.

Other users may like the simplicity of secure webmail services such as Protonmail and Tutanota but do not want to part with their Gmail service where they do the bulk of their communications (and store most of their messages). Such users have to use two separate email addresses, which is very inconvenient.

As well as mentions of Protonmail and Tutanota in at least-
Part #4 - Usability vs. Security
Part #3 - Metadata and Anonymity

The link posted in Part #6 (above) or the "Spoiler: Email privacy crash course" in OP (post #1), you can navigate around to the other parts (3,4 and 5) I've mentioned - (right above).

FAQ
How much will it cost?
The basic version is free and will remain free. We will be introducing paid versions with advanced features in the future. [See my post #9 here to anajames - about the fund raising part and a hint of the fees I'd seen mentioned there on it - you'll have to do a search to know more.]

Where are your servers?
In a secure data center in Zurich, with a backup site in Zug, Switzerland.

Do I need to install a browser extension?
No. You can use EasyCrypt Secure Webmail with Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Tor browsers without installing anything.
If you use Safari, please make sure that it is not in Private mode.

Do you store my emails?
No. Your emails are stored as usual by your existing email service, such as Yahoo Mail or Gmail or your employer’s Exchange server.
https://easycrypt.co/faq/

Sub-bottom-line - “People seem to think that data privacy laws in Europe or in foreign countries pose problems or would be a roadblock," says Victor Vital, a trial lawyer at Barnes & Thornburg, "but that’s just not the case, because under those treaties the countries obligate themselves to cooperate as broadly and as much as possible."

Yen concedes - ProtonMail isn't exempt from Swiss laws "We have just intentionally selected the framework that gives the best possible protection to our legitimate users."

The Tricky Legal Questions
This brings us to ProtonMail's legal advantages. As we've established, ProtonMail would have a hard time decrypting your communications, but the service is not so secure that it would be impossible. And while ProtonMail cites its location in Switzerland as added protection, it’s certainly not a fail-safe. That’s because Switzerland has a mutual legal assistance treaty relationship with the United States. These treaties require foreign governments to hand over to a requesting government any information legally available to their local authorities. That means that Switzerland would have to give the US access to any data that it could itself access. So if you’re planning to use ProtonMail to sell steroids, leak government secrets, or engage in FIFA-style wire fraud/money laundering/racketeering schemes, Swiss law probably won’t help you.
Source:
https://www.wired.com/2015/10/mr-robot-uses-protonmail-still-isnt-fully-secure/

Bottom-line - there is CHOICE and weighting out your options by research, as not one style of sneakers or automotive type is right for all, so to is this type or encrypted email client/webmail service. But it's better than being data mined and profiled.

Thanks, Gass :D

Last edited:

Gass

If your not into the encryption part of a private email/webmail service, I'd suggest you look at https://soverin.net/
At the price of a cappuccino a month (it) offer you a secure mailbox on your own domain.
Your email is safe and not sold for advertising.

Why pay for email?
Free email comes at a price. Your data deserves to be protected. Your mailbox is your life. Think about the intimate details in your emails. This is why Soverin is committed to the following principles:
Personal Address - Choose your domain, Unlimited aliases, Multiple domains, Multiple mailboxes
No tracking - Your email is not scanned and you are not profiled
No Advertising - Your emails will never be read, your data is not sold
No lock in - Your mailbox is yours, take it wherever you want.
Privacy first - Feel as free as in the comfort of your own home
Fully featured - Email (imap), calendar (caldav) and contacts (cardav) simply managed from your Soverin dashboard.
Learn More: https://soverin.net/features

Compatibility:
Any web browser
Airmail
Apple Mail
Microsoft Outlook

Take control of your inbox for € 3,25 / month or
Annual cost billing email and domain together € 39 Euro per year , using your prior owned domain € 29.00 yearly. See post #17 for a short lived deal - which may return at another time...
What do I get for 39 Euro per year? https://support.soverin.net/en/knowledgebase/5-general-questions/docs/18-what-do-i-get-for-39-euro-peryear

In order to successfully link your domain to Soverin you need to add 2 TXT records to the DNS settings of your domain. You need to add a:
  1. domain verification record, to prove you own the domain.
  2. SPF record, to prevent spammers from using your domain
https://support.soverin.net/en/knowledgebase/4-configuration/docs/8-soverin-dns-settings

Details:
Unlimited Messages
25 GB Storage (extra storage available at *additional costs)
On the Soverin.net domain or your own domain, or *Personal domains bought through Soverin
Unlimited aliases on your own domain
Personal webpage (optional, free) / One-minute setup, Publish PGP key, Profile picture, Short bio
Multiple domains
Multiple Private mailboxes - Email filters, Import old messages
*Additional domains, storage, and/or mailboxes available at additional costs
If you buy a new domain and/or mailbox, it will be aligned with the length of your initial subscription
Keep using your favorite email apps - Soverin is app independent, rather use webmail? We’ve got you covered. On your phone, On your computer, In your browser.
*= (We are so confident you will love us, that we guarantee you that if you decide to cancel within 30 days, we will refund your money.
*Note: we'll refund your email account at the purchased value, we will not refund any personal domains, additional users or other purchases you might have made on Soverin.)

No data footprint, no carbon footprint - Powering the digital world requires a lot of electricity. All our servers run on sustainable energy sources. EU legal base.

Soverin is an independent private company based in Amsterdam, run by a team of internet enthusiasts who want to create great products that are safe, beautiful and easy to use. We’re passionate about changing the status quo and actively want to raise awareness about digital privacy.
Our mission is private communication for everyone. We give people control over their privacy. The technology has been here for years, but nobody can use it. We are here to change that.
The messages you send should stay between you and the receiver. More like a sealed envelope than a postcard.
Signing up is a breeze. All you need is a phone number. We are not interested in acquiring personal data or building user profiles. Your mobile phone number is all you need to sign up, it is only used to reset your password.

Soverin B.V.
Vijzelstraat 68-78
1017 HL Amsterdam
The Netherlands

hello@soverin.net( PGP key)
Need help? support@soverin.net

Chamber of Commerce: NL 61552275
VAT: NL854387614b01
https://soverin.net/about
Gass :D

PS: Wanting to rid yourself of free Webmail service and others - Google/gmail, Yahoo/ymail, etc... Maybe consider this Soverin email/domain service combined with EasyCrypt service as this Threads main Topic and try using both - one for a private email address (at costs to you) that you own and can take anywhere with you there after (gmail and ymail, etc.. you'll never own them email addresses to take anywhere to use other than where their at now), and the latter for a free encryption service means to those emails stored there at Soverin. :)
DISCLAIMER: I'm not advertising anything on the Adguard Forums - just passing on some knowledge to my fellow Adguard members (mostly I won't add a price to my posts - but in this case I have for informational purposes only. I'm not an Affiliate to anything here posted in Adguard Forums or any part of an online entity or what so ever elsewhere. I squeeze my dollars till the eagle hollers or does something in my hand - I'm thrifty and have to be that way, as I know some of you are as well.

Last edited:

Bruno

@Gass my message was just informative. I am not taking any side here. ;) In fact, I am using Encrypt and Protonmail at the present time.

Protonmail as also a free version and offers Desktop and Mobile apps and an access to their onion site.
A problem with Encrypt which is only a Webmail and even on my iPhone en 7 Plus, the interface is too small for my eyes. :oops:

Anyway, I just use these services as a test and for curiosity. Except Protonmail where I created 2 free emails, for privacy, to deal with my bitcoin business.

Regarding Soverin I will check it. But it is based in the Netherlands, so under EU law... No the case of Protonmail or my VPN which is based in Panama. Security and privacy are good criteria, but the juridiction is also very important to me. Otherwise they will still have to give your data upon a court order.

Unfortunately, I am full Apple with iCloud subscription and getting everything sync everywhere on every devices makes my life much easier. I only regret there is no PGP plugin or other security add-on for it.

Gass

@Gass my message was just informative. I am not taking any side here. ;) In fact, I am using Encrypt and Protonmail at the present time.

Unfortunately, I am full Apple with iCloud subscription and getting everything sync everywhere on every devices makes my life much easier. I only regret there is no PGP plugin or other security add-on for it.
I like information and the sharing of such - so I understood your original post and welcome any others as well here. I just thought it important to clarify a few things as I understood them.

Please feel welcome and an open invitation over to my "General Safe-Guarding YOURSELF ONLINE" to contribute there as a Apple platform user, I'm sure it will help many to know in your experiences and knowledge's that you've gained.
We are all friends on Adguard Forums and life is short with lit spare time and infections pose great risk of resources and revenues to ourselves.
https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/general-safe-guarding-yourself-online.21908/

Thank you very much for considering it. :)
Gass

Gass

With pleasure!
Did you know that Soverin Private Webmail is being offered over on stacksocial site of a count down in time left / Ending In: 4 days.
Offering 1, 3, and 5 year deals in discounts - I went for the 1 year to see about it, but the domain purchase seemed discouraged with the email/webmail purchase on this site - don't remember just why, I'm thinking that except for the instruction after purchase was made, and not being part of this discounted offer.
I talked to Soverin support and they said you have to buy both at the same time or you'll have the @soverin.net as a domain to this deal.
Didn't give any instructions as what I should of done precisely, as I didn't ask the specific question either, maybe you should ask though.

Adguard is offered to right now on stacksocial site - License length: lifetime, 2 Android devices + 2 computers (4 total), count down in time left / Ending In: 3 days.

I'll leave it there as I don't want to seem as spam of advertising here on Adguard Forums.

Last edited: