Enable Assistant For Specific Browsers

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, May 1, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I've been thinking again regarding potential useful feature requests, and I think I've got a good idea. With the discussion in regards to enabling Extensions (userscripts) for specific browsers the same could be applied to the Assistant as well. For example, I'd like the Assistant disabled for Chrome and Firefox (the native extensions will basically do the Assistant's job there) whereas I'd like the Assistant enabled for Internet Explorer.

Thoughts? Or would this naturally be included with the userscripts for specific browsers request?

2. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Boo Berry,

I'm pretty new here so I want to understand, are you suggesting on Chrome (I only use Chrome BETA currently) that I should be running the Chrome Adguard extension as well as Adguard software itself? I started with the Chrome extension but removed it when I installed the full version of Adguard when I bought it. Sorry to be so new as not to understand your request and how it applies to me? Should I be running both, if so why?

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

It's optional. The browser extension for Chrome can detect the presence of Adguard for Windows and instead of acting like an ad blocking extension (it disables ad blocking in the extension when the full version is present so they don't clash) it will instead function as the Assistant (when doing this it's probably a good idea to make sure the Assistant is disabled in Adguard for Windows). You can create rules using the extension's Assistant and those newly rules *should* appear instead in Adguard for Windows.

I'm just saying I want the extensions to function as the Assistant for supported browsers (bridged to the full Adguard for Windows) and the Assistant userscript that's injected to be either automatically disabled when the extensions are present and/or allow the ability to disable the Assistant in specific browsers.

I hope that's clear enough. If not, just say so and I'll try again. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  4. Rian

Rian Beta Tester

Great idea... also it would be nice if the Adguard browser extensions would be automatically installed to Firefox(after the stable release for FF) and Chrome (if present) and used instead of AdGuard assistant when you install AdGuard for windows......

5. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Assistant is a userscript so it will have browsers setting as other userscripts.

What for extensions automatic installation - I am not sure yet.

6. Rian

Rian Beta Tester

What i meant was as of now one has to install chrome extension from chrome store and Firefox extension from mozilla add on(when it comes)...... i have seen when i install lastpass on desktop it gives an option to install lastpass extension from that install menu for different browsers instead of downloading from each stores of Firefox and chrome..... So when a person installs Adguard for windows i would like to have an option to install the extensions for chrome and firefox without going to the store and install extension so that the Adguard extensions can be used in firefox and chrome instead of Adguard assistant

7. avatar

Thank you Rian, I like the idea of optional installation.

8. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

Is using the extension for the specific browsers with Adguard already installed really needed ?

If so what are the advantages in using the extensions?

9. avatar

As Boo have said - browser extension can replace Adguard Assistant.
    It is not needed though, you can do as you like.

10. Rian

Rian Beta Tester

Also can it be possible to make a trimmed down version of Adguard extension for Adguard for Windows users (so as to functions only as an Assistant) ... so it might actually speed up the starting of the browser..... just a thought............
    I know as of now the extension will act as an assistant when the full version is present .... what i am saying is that if possible can you develop the extension as a pure replacement for asssistant (without loading the filter lists)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014