Error Message: The Service is not running with options to Restore the service or Report a problem

KL Tex

Several days ago I started receiving this error message. I use Chrome on Windows 10. I've sent help tickets and the response is to uninstall Adguard and reinstall it. I have done this two times. Nothing has changed. I read on another thread to uncheck the box for SSL.

I am not getting anywhere and wonder if anyone can help me.

Regards!

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Did you try to start the Adguard service in "services.msc" (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) and then to start Adguard again?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Is it trying to run on a limited (restricted) user account on Windows or something like that?

KL Tex

Did you try to start the Adguard service in "services.msc" (Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services) and then to start Adguard again?
Blaz, I went to services.msc and stopped and then started Adguard. I then opened it and still get the same error message.

Is it trying to run on a limited (restricted) user account on Windows or something like that?
It is running on my Admin account. I am the only user of this computer.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's strange - the service *should* be running in the background without issue unless a) something running is preventing the service from running in the first place (can be verified to see if the Adguard Service is actually running in services.msc after a fresh reboot) or b) if the service is crashing and is unable to be recovered (hence the error).

Any antimalware/antivirus/firewall/security software running on the PC? Was Adguard functioning correctly a few days ago, then it started happening? Has there been any recent changes (Windows updates, software installs, etc.)? Any strange issues like BSODs?

@avatar and/or @vasily_bagirov to thread!

KL Tex

It's strange - the service *should* be running in the background without issue unless a) something running is preventing the service from running in the first place (can be verified to see if the Adguard Service is actually running in services.msc after a fresh reboot) or b) if the service is crashing and is unable to be recovered (hence the error).

Any antimalware/antivirus/firewall/security software running on the PC? Was Adguard functioning correctly a few days ago, then it started happening? Has there been any recent changes (Windows updates, software installs, etc.)? Any strange issues like BSODs?

I had to do some things to Win 10 because after the Aniversary Edition I had a multitude of issues.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Hmmm, like what things? I'm wondering if one of those things somehow broke the services' ability to run correctly.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, so reinstall didn't help? This is bad news, I guess we need to take a look at this issue using some remote access tool.

Could you please tell me your "customer ID" (you should have received it in the first auto-reply email)?

KL Tex

Oh, so reinstall didn't help? This is bad news, I guess we need to take a look at this issue using some remote access tool.

Could you please tell me your "customer ID" (you should have received it in the first auto-reply email)?
I have the ticket number if that is what you are looking for. YUB-901-80263

KL Tex

I just wanted to clarify that when I go to services.msc it shows that Adguard is running!! When I open the app, I get the error message and can't do anything with the app. I can't control settings or anything. No way to get into account either.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Besides the disk damage issue, I guess complete AG reinstall should have helped (as the database file would be recreated in this case).

It's just important to remove AG completely (along with the settings) before installing it again.

KL Tex

@KL Tex Thank you for the logs!

We looked through them, there appears to be some disk error:
Code:
System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException: disk I/O error
We suggest you to run chkdsk /f command, here you can read more about it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx

After the disk check is complete, reboot your PC and see if the problem is fixed. Then inform us about the result please.
I wanted to let you know that I ran chkdsk /f and after that AG ran just fine. The problem was resolved. Thank you for your assistance.