Exclude app from VPN

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by rhondalea, Oct 13, 2018.

1. rhondalea

rhondalea Beta Tester

Edit: Never mind. It's working now, and I haven't any idea how to delete my question. Sorry for wasting pixels.

__
    Adguard interferes with Microsoft's Your Phone Companion. I have disabled "route app traffic through AdGuard" in App Details, but the app on my laptop is still crying.

It works as advertised if I disable Adguard Protection entirely, so I would like to know how to exclude the app entirely from the VPN. I know this was once possible in advanced settings, but I can no longer find the setting that allows me to enter the name of the app package.

Adguard 2.11 .81 on Galaxy Note 9 Android 8.1.0

Thanks,
    Rhonda

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Glad to see you got it working again.

Hmm, I've been playing with this app on Android for a week now with mixed results. I'll have to open AG's filtering log to see if anything pops up during connection attempts.

3. rhondalea

rhondalea Beta Tester

I have no idea why it started working. I checked the filtering log and found nothing. Turned filtering back on and turned it off again. Then it worked.

When Adguard is turned on for the app, the error message in the app on my laptop is: Connect your phone to Wi-Fi. We can't get items from your phone when it's using cellular data.

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I've found both the Your Phone Companion app on Android and the Your Phone app on Windows 10 1809 in general seem pretty buggy. It's an interesting idea, but I'd like to see it matured and actually work instead of half work like other things in Windows 10.

An example I can cite is, until 1809 the Windows Spotlight feature never worked correctly for me, but now it is. Hopefully they can improve the Your Phone apps for Windows and Android to make them more reliable.

5. rhondalea

rhondalea Beta Tester

If I had a nickel for every bug I've found in 1809, my husband could retire. The app is such a great idea, and the implementation is just garbage. It's good to know that in an ever-changing world, I can count on Microsoft for consistency.

I'm just thankful I don't have Cortana. I did something to turn her off when she first arrived, and nothing has turned her back on. I dread the day I decide a clean install is required.

6. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

It IS necessary to exclude Your Phone Companion completely from the VPN! Otherwise you cannot use any of the "connected devices" features in conjunction with Windows 10.

It uses some kind of WiFi/network detection. It is meant to work only when the phone is in the same WiFi/network as the Windows 10 computer. If it is routed through a VPN, this check FAILS.

It is easy to reproduce: Do the setup for the Your Phone app on both PC and phone with AdGuard disabled or with the app excluded from VPN. It will report that it is connected to the PC and data exchange (text messages, photos) works. Now enable VPN for the app, it will immediately switch to not connected and won't work. Disable routing through VPN and it starts working again. Somehow it doesn't recognize its in the same WiFi as soon as VPN is present.