[*] facebook.com

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by Itguy, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Itguy

Itguy New Member

2. worldsdream

worldsdream Beta Tester

I just saw the news too. It will be a cat and mouse game. I bet Adguard will win.

3. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

Nearl every ad can be removed and I doubt we can't remove them ;)
    Just report the ads when you see them :)
    I just checked a site and it was ad-free :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

5. Itguy

Itguy New Member

The ads launched today. Looks like they are burying them into feeds to look like organic content from people you know. VERY clever.

However, to see the difference there is a small 'Suggested' text on each one to differentiate, and a specific button that is different from all of your other feeds. So those two things alone give them away. But the way they are doing it is very deceptive in my opinion as they are hijacking what your friends like to send you things that look like your friends sent them.

6. max2

max2 Beta Tester

Good thing I don't use Facebook! :)

LadyWolf and Margos Dezerian like this.
  7. Blaz

So those ads only show when logged in? If yes, I can't fix it as I don't have an account and will never have.

8. Itguy

Itguy New Member

How do I add something like this to Adguard?

https://adblockplus.org/blog/fb-reblock-ad-blocking-community-finds-workaround-to-facebook

If you want to manually add the filter, here is the code you need:

facebook.com##DIV[id^="substream_"] ._5jmm[data-dedupekey][data-cursor][data-xt][data-xt-vimpr="1"][data-ftr="1"][data-fte="1"]

As many of your know, the filter lists that “tell” Adblock Plus what to block are in fact the product of a global community of web citizens. This time that community seems to have gotten the better of even a giant like Facebook.

9. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

It's already in the English filter (which is based on EasyList, and thus gets new rules like this automatically). Just check for updates.

10. LadyWolf

LadyWolf New Member

What concerns me is that more and more websites will follow Facebook's lead and spend a lot more resources on stopping ad blockers. The "cat and mouse" game just became a wee bit more serious.

11. BKayrac

BKayrac New Member

For the record, facebook now has suggested ads showing again. So facebook is now in the lead as far as the back and forth goes.

12. SlowMemory

SlowMemory Beta Tester

It would be helpful if anybody who can reproduce ads in facebook post a screenshot of how ads look like and a screenshot of html structure of it. It looks like not everyone see such ads.
    Some information about the structure of FB's sponsored posts is already gathered in community, for example it is known that it is enough to hide div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"] which contains a.uiStreamSponsoredLink.
    FB is probably relying on CSS3 selectors limitations, but we have javascript rules and we may make more robust hiding rule with it.

13. SpartacusSystem

SpartacusSystem Member

These are the filters I have installed:
    subscriptions.PNG

This is the typical suggested post I've recently started seeing. They're quite repetitive too.
    sp.PNG

I'm an active member of the MalwareTips forums and some users who use Adguard Desktop do not see any suggested posts at all so it seems like I'm an outlier. I cleaned out Chrome updated filters, yet I still see these suggested posts. I even tried Fanboy's Anti-Facebook list and nothing seems to make a difference. There are many people who are using uBlock Origin and are claiming that they've not seen any suggested posts at all!

Anyone in the same boat as me?

I did recently notice that Adblock Plus has a webpage with filters specifically to target Facebook. Is this new?

Link: https://facebook.adblockplus.me/

Seems like it's getting worse by the minute! Suggested game? Come on; give us a break!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  14. SlowMemory

SlowMemory Beta Tester

It seems that Adguard had already coped with such a challenge before, and that's why we have an api AG_removeParent :) There is a js rule in Russian filter for yandex.ru using it. I guess we can use a similar logic here. I am a total noob at javascript, but since nobody is suggesting I am suggesting one, please correct me if I did something wrong. I just modified an existing rule for yandex.ru and this rule seems to be removing "sponsored" posts from my newsfeed. Can somebody check it?

AG_onLoad(function() {
    function fbObserver() {
    var observer = new MutationObserver(function(mutations) {
    mutations.forEach(function(mutation) {
    fbRemove()​
    })​
    });
    observer.observe(document.body, {
    childList: true,
    characterData: true,
    subtree: true​
    })​
    }
    var fbRemove = function() {
    AG_each("a.uiStreamSponsoredLink", function(node) {
    AG_removeParent(node, function(parent) {
    return parent.id && parent.id.indexOf("hyperfeed_story_id_") === 0​
    })​
    })​
    };
    fbRemove();
    fbObserver();​
    });
    Code:
    facebook.com#%#AG_onLoad(function(){var b=function(){AG_each("a.uiStreamSponsoredLink",function(a){AG_removeParent(a,function(a){return a.id&&0===a.id.indexOf("hyperfeed_story_id_")})})};b();(function(){(new MutationObserver(function(a){a.forEach(function(a){b()})})).observe(document.body,{childList:!0,characterData:!0,subtree:!0})})()});

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Semetery likes this.
  15. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This thread looks more and more like it should belong to 'Missed ads' section. Maybe @Alex302 has something to say here.

SpartacusSystem likes this.
  16. Blaz

Moved the thread.

17. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Ok. Waiting for replies.

18. SlowMemory

SlowMemory Beta Tester

It is still working on my end. A trivial change:
    Code:
    facebook.com#%#AG_onLoad(function(){var b=function(){AG_each("a.uiStreamSponsoredLink",function(a){AG_removeParent(a,function(a){return a.id&&0===a.id.indexOf("hyperfeed_story_id_")})})};b();(function(){(new MutationObserver(function(a){a.forEach(function(a){b()})})).observe(document.body,{childList:!0,subtree:!0})})()});

However according to information in other communities, it looks like FB once tried to foil an identification of sponsored posts by modifying that a.uiStreamSponsoredLink part.

I thought that it would be faster to search for a.uiStreamSponsoredLink among each added nodes in each mutations, but actually scanning the whole document.body in each mutations seems to be faster, although maybe I was doing something wrong to measure timings. I was looking at the chrome profile section like this.. http://i.imgur.com/wkbOKsg.png Maybe it has something to do with saving added nodes to memory. I'm curious how the library for extended selectors look like.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  19. yigido

yigido Translator

20. BKayrac

BKayrac New Member

Well someone posted the info before I got back off the road. Which is cool. But I'm still seeing those suggested ads.

I see the adblock plus facebook page, but I can't find a way to find out if thats a link to a filter set that I can add to adblock.

But I would prefer to get rid of these shitty sponsored ads. Almost every single one I have seen looks like a piece of malware, or a scam. Which makes it even worse.

SpartacusSystem likes this.