[*] facebook.com

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Please wait for new beta version. It will be available today.
We will hide these ads by new pseudo-selectors.

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Beta is out, I upgraded.

But still massive facebook ads are hammering me.
I don't see this ads in my account. I can hide them only if someone provides me remote access or completely saved page.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Cat & Mouse game, if one of the Filter developers can reproduce it, it can be fixed up to 99%.

Itguy

With everyone apparently unable to stop Facebook Ads, I installed ViolentMonkey and added this script;

1. // ==UserScript==
  2. // @name Facebook annoyance
  3. // @namespace http://www.facebook.com/*
  4. // @include https://www.facebook.com/
  5. // @version 1
  6. // @grant none
  7. // ==/UserScript==
  8. (function () {
  9. function contains(selector, text) {
  10. var elements = document.querySelectorAll(selector);
  11. return [].filter.call(elements, function (element) {
  12. return RegExp(text).test(element.textContent);
  13. });
  14. }
  15. function blockit() {
  16. var els = contains('div[id^=hyperfeed_story_id]', 'Suggested Post');
  17. for (el in els) {
  18. els[el].outerHTML = '';
  19. }
  20. els = contains('div[id^=hyperfeed_story_id]', 'Sponsored');
  21. for (el in els) {
  22. els[el].outerHTML = '';
  23. }
  24. }
  25. document.body.addEventListener('load', blockit);
  26. document.body.addEventListener('DOMSubtreeModified', blockit, false);
  27. }) ();

That works good for now until the Adblocker guys catch up.

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Beta is out, I upgraded.

But still massive facebook ads are hammering me.
The Beta now contains a support for extended selectors, so following works:
Code:
facebook.com##div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id"][-ext-has="a.uiStreamSponsoredLink"]
or
Code:
facebook.com##div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id"][-ext-contains="Sponsored"]
I don't see this ads in my account. I can hide them only if someone provides me remote access or completely saved page.
Giving a remote access and viewing facebook.com would reveal too much about one's privacy.. is there any good way to provide a DOM tree structure without actual contents?

Last edited:

Itguy

Currently, Adguard is back to not blocking facebook ads.

However in testing, uBlock is currently blocking facebook ads. Please tell me I don't have to switch back to uBlock!

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
For best Facebook adblocking results, make sure you're using the Adguard for Windows 6.1 RC build with at least the English filter and make sure it's up-to-date.

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Yes. Extended CSS is supported by beta versions of Adguard for Windows and Chrome extension.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
If you want to block Facebook ads (better) in Adguard for Windows, you'll have to either a) upgrade to the Adguard for Windows 6.1.255.1291 release candidate (RC) build or b) since it's a RC build wait until the final build comes out. As Alex said, if you're using the browser extensions you'll have to update to the beta builds (or again wait until they're released as final builds) as they have support for the extended selectors.

Furthermore Adguard for Mac and Adguard for Android doesn't currently support extended selectors either. So to recap, only Adguard for Windows 6.1 and the browser extension betas have support for extended selectors, which is best used for blocking Facebook's ads.

I just checked Facebook and I'm not seeing any sponsored posts or ads.

Your version does not have a support for extended selectors.
Yes. Extended CSS is supported by beta versions of Adguard for Windows and Chrome extension.
If you want to block Facebook ads (better) in Adguard for Windows, you'll have to either a) upgrade to the Adguard for Windows 6.1.255.1291 release candidate (RC) build or b) since it's a RC build wait until the final build comes out. As Alex said, if you're using the browser extensions you'll have to update to the beta builds (or again wait until they're released as final builds) as they have support for the extended selectors.

Furthermore Adguard for Mac and Adguard for Android doesn't currently support extended selectors either. So to recap, only Adguard for Windows 6.1 and the browser extension betas have support for extended selectors, which is best used for blocking Facebook's ads.

I just checked Facebook and I'm not seeing any sponsored posts or ads.
Acknowledged guys, thank you. I guess I'll just hold on a bit longer till the stable version is released or if one of you can re-assure me that the RC version is somewhat stable.

BKayrac

Beta and english, and actually most any filter that is even remotely useful to english ads/malware blocking no longer block facebook ads. Just for an update.

I ticked the beta updates channel checkbox specifically since someone mentioned the beta has the ability to block them. But it is currently not doing that. Windows beta version btw, all filters up to date.