Feature Request: Block newsletter pop-ups

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Browser Extensions)' started by Sheree, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Sheree

Sheree New Member

It seems like every single website now has a site-modal "PLEASE OH PLEASE GOD PLEASE sign up for our newsletter" pop-up overlay. Can these be blocked?

Thanks!

2. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

@Sheree It would be most helpful to the filter Dev's if you gave a URL or two of such a site!

3. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

On most common sites Annoyance filter should hide those.

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

For ones not being blocked, like Steve said just report the URLs where you're seeing those. :)

5. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Here's an example I just ran into: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3025021/windows-start-menu.html

... But it's seriously like every other website. I'm not sure why you're asking me to provide examples; don't you surf the web? Have you really not seen this before? LOL.

And then once I use the x button on the overlay, there's a cookie and it never pops up for me again on that website. So I'd have to clear all the userdata out of my browser to find them all again.

@Blaz: Thanks for the tip about the Annoyances filter; I would have never found that. I use the addon for Firefox; I don't like the VPN-ness of the full version. (I had a credit union tell me they were going to close my 20-year-old account because I used a VPN to access their website and they insisted that it was a security breach because "someone accessed my account from a different country" and I couldn't get it through their thick skulls how VPNs work.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Attached Files:

7. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

@Sheree,

I'm using the full version of Adguard and the two URL's you provided have NO pop-ups of any type for me: I'll ask @Alex302 @Adam or @Blaz
    to look at it using the Firefox extension only as I don't use Firefox or the extension, I use Chrome and full Adguard version.

8. Blaz

Only saw a newsletter item at the bottom of the page, not an overlay. Fixed that item at bottom of page (update in about 3 hours).

Also with mobile FF extension on Android I don't see a popup. According to your text you are on Android (due to VPN talk) and FF extension.

steve1209 likes this.
  9. Sheree

Sheree New Member

@Blaz Windows/Firefox. I just tried Fanboy's annoyances list in addition to the AdGuard Annoyances list, and the pop-up on Howtogeek went away. I closed the popup on the other sites, so it's not going to pop up on those until I clear cookies.

10. Blaz

I just checked the site's code and it is hidden fine by these rules in our up2date Annoyances filter:

Code:
    howtogeek.com##.email-overlay
    howtogeek.com##.email-overlay + .overlay-wrapper

11. Sheree

Sheree New Member

Attached Files:

12. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Sadly, things are never really that simple. Sites use different elements for such things, hence why they are dealt with on a site-by-site basis.

13. Blaz

Added rules for "sierratradingpost.com". Update in about 3 hours. Please report future newsletter via the report, thank you.