Filter for email tracking pixels?

Cris

I haven't delved into custom filters, so don't know what they're capable of. In principle, do the filter rules have what it takes to prevent an email client from downloading tracking pixels in html emails?

The kind of rules I'd have in mind might be something like:
  • disallow download of images from urls containing 'track' after the hostname
  • disallow IMG tags with width & height of 1px
They wouldn't have to be perfect -- certainly a few false positives would be fine. And I can write the rules myself. But I'd like to know if it's possible before poring over the docs.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
  • disallow download of images from urls containing 'track' after the hostname
That's rather easy:
Code:
||*/track
  • disallow IMG tags with width & height of 1px
And that's not that easy.

The straightforward way would be to use $$ rules:
Code:
$$img[height="1px"][width="1px"]
But I am not sure about it, it might be better to take a look at the real email example first.

lexvo

Cris, I know this is an old thread, but did you manage to do some email tracking filtering? I'd like to do the same and maybe you have some experience to share :)

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Spyware filter is not that bad, we're adding known email tracking pixels there.

Tbh, I suppose that it's too hard to handle it with a generic rule, so we have to discover & add trackers one by one.

lexvo

Spyware filter is not that bad, we're adding known email tracking pixels there.

Tbh, I suppose that it's too hard to handle it with a generic rule, so we have to discover & add trackers one by one.
Thank you! I understand that there are many different email trackers, applying filters will be a lot of work. But it is good to know that there are email tracking filters in the Spyware filter. Saves me work trying to make my own filters :)