Filtering breaking weather.com

Discussion in 'False Positives' started by streetwolf, Feb 28, 2015.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I'm having a problem at weather.com. I am getting information that is hours old for forecasts. I can tell because the times are often hours old. Clearing my cache will fix it for a little while then it comes back. Disabling AG or making weather.com an exception seems to keep things current.

Could you find and fix the problem?

Thanks.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Can you try narrowing down which filter(s) this occurs with by disabling them one-by-one? That should help quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

The site seems to be working fine today. At the first sign that I'm getting old forecasts I'll narrow it down to a filter.

4. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

One thing to note is that disabling AG or filters does not fix the problem. I have to clear my browser cache in order for the 'old' times to disappear and replaced with current times.

It so happened that I ran into the problem again a little while ago. I turned off the English filter and cleared my cache. The cache cleaning is necessary for whatever reason. I've been keeping an eye on the times displayed and so far so good. However, it will take longer to really see if it's the English filter. If the problem doesn't appear after a longer time, I'll re-enable the English filter, clear my cache, and see if the problem comes back.

What relationship is there between AG and my browser cache?

5. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Do you have exact steps to reproduce this? I'll see if I can figure it out. And you're using Nightly, right?

6. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Yeah I'm running nightly.

What you should do is go to weather.com, put you zip code in, and then create a bookmark for easy access.

What happens to me is that the times and even dates might start out OK but eventually a time from an hour ago will appear even though I might have had a time that was later. The particular pages are the main page which has the current weather (called Today) for your zip code. You will notice a time. This time I believe is supposed to change maybe every 20-45 minutes or so. If you notice a time of 8:00pm and then at some point it becomes 7:00pm you hit the problem. Also the 'Next few hours' page get's really messed up. I've had it begin with a date and time for the next day followed by current times. Really strange. Also the hourly page can get messed up too. There will be times everything looks OK. The problem seems to correct itself correct itself after a while, that's why you have to give it time to happen if it does at all for you.

Just keep in mind that if you get the problem you must clear your cache to get things back in order.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

So far everything is working fine with the English filter disabled. In the past few hours I haven't had a page with a previous time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
  7. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Turned on English filter and all is fine. Seems like things might be back to normal. Perhaps some filters were added or changed that did the trick.

8. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's not a browser cache, I think they use "local storage" for caching. AG may break some script working with it.