Filters

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
@jimmyjetson
Hello there!
The very idea of turning on a large number of filters is not a good one. The point is that developers of third-party filters can use the same or adjoining AdGuard filters rules. This can prevent some websites from working properly.

When you enable a large number of filters in the AdBlocking section, you will see a corresponding notification.

P.S. A default set of filters (they are marked with a star) is usually sufficient to block almost all ads.

jimmyjetson

@jimmyjetson
Hello there!
The very idea of turning on a large number of filters is not a good one. The point is that developers of third-party filters can use the same or adjoining AdGuard filters rules. This can prevent some websites from working properly.

When you enable a large number of filters in the AdBlocking section, you will see a corresponding notification.

P.S. A default set of filters (they are marked with a star) is usually sufficient to block almost all ads.
Thanks for your response. This is what I kinda fi9gure4de but just wanted to see if it 3was right. Appreciate your time

jimmyjetson

@jimmyjetson
Hello there!

Yes and I've seen that but have you noticed ( which i thought was kinda strange, Kinda like contradicting themselves ), seems to me like the filter "Adguard simplified domain names filter", should have definitely had a star by it. Have you noticed, if you use it, then you don't need to use 2 of Adguards main filters (" Adguard base filter" and "Adguard mobile ads filter", which are both starred) or "Easy list, "Easy Privacy", "Social media filter", and the"Tracking Protection Filter"., Which the last 4 aren't starred, just the first two. So......By using the simplified filter you can eliminate 6 other filters. The thing I wasn't really sure about though , is not checking the two filter boxes that are starred , I hope i'm ok by doing that, but according to the way i'm comprehending it is that their all included in the simplified filter. Your take on this?

SevenGreenSeven

Someone please correct me here. As far as, I know, one of the reasons "AdGuard Simplified Domain Names Filter" is not a starred filter, is because it relies on you needing to have your DNS set to AdGuard's DNS, in order to function correctly. If someone were using a DNS, other than AdGuard's DNS, they would not use the specific AdGuard Simplified Domain Names Filter, and instead use the default filters: AdGuard Base Filter, AdGuard Tracking Protection Filter, AdGuard Social Media Filter, and AdGuard Annoyances Filter.

I am not too sure if AdGuard Simplified Names Domains Filter, can be used to replace the necessary default AdGuard filters. As I understand it, you still need the default filters, as the AdGuard Simplified Names Domain List enhances the filtering performance of AdGuard's DNS. I am curious, as you, though, too. I could be wrong and maybe you can just use the AdGuard Simplified Names Domain Filter (with AdGuard's DNS) to substitute the default lists. We can await the advice of the moderators here. Take care.

slvvko

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
first of all, Simplified Domain Names filter list (SND) is not recommended to use in AdGuard apps or extensions

secondly, it does not enhance the filtering performance of AdGuard DNS — AdGuard DNS just use it for it's performance

yes, SND filter is composed of several other filters but it contains only simple domain blocking rules. there are no cosmetic or precise whitelist rules that's why it's problematic and can't be recommended

SevenGreenSeven

Thanks so much, Slvvko! I learned something, as I am obviously not too knowledgeable on AdGuard specifics. I also had no idea AdGuard Simplified Domain Names filter was not recommended. Hope this helps you, too, jimmyjetson. Thanks again for your help Slvvko and take care.

jimmyjetson

first of all, Simplified Domain Names filter list (SND) is not recommended to use in AdGuard apps or extensions

secondly, it does not enhance the filtering performance of AdGuard DNS — AdGuard DNS just use it for it's performance

yes, SND filter is composed of several other filters but it contains only simple domain blocking rules. there are no cosmetic or precise whitelist rules that's why it's problematic and can't be recommended
I guess we all need to live and learn. Thank you sir

slvvko

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
one more thing

if you have Base filter enabled, EasyList is not required because it's already included in Base filter