First impressions of AdGuard for Mac (Beta)

Corvidae

New Member
Hi,

I just wanted to give my first impressions of the Adguard for Mac 1.0.36 Beta. Overall I like what I see, there are a few things that I noticed however:

First run error:
When starting Adguard for the first time I get the message "Adguard is not functioning! An error occurred during upgrading user Preferences. Adguard won't work correctly. Please contact support team." Quitting and reopening Adguard does work and everything's fine afterwards. (I should note, that I tried to start Adguard from the disk image before, which of course doesn't work, so that might have been the cause of this issue).

Apple Firewall asks for permission on every start:
Every time I start Adguard, Apple's firewall is asking me whether I want to allow incoming connections for Adguard. I checked the Exception list in System Preferences, and sure enough, Adguard is set to "Allow incoming connections". Not sure why it still asks me on every start of Adguard.

Performance:
With default rulesets enabled, cpu usage is somewhat higher than I would've expected. Opening a "normal" web page causes a 30-70% CPU usage burst of the Adguard process for a few seconds. When starting Safari Adguard consumes 400-600% CPU for around 2 and a half Minutes (this is in addition to the 200-300% that Safari is consuming at that time). Safari is opening around 60 - 80 Tabs on launch, so yeah, it's a bit of a stress test. Compared to Safari with Adblock Plus Extension, this is a bit worse - in this config, loading finishes after around 1:50.
Adguard performs still much better than Glimmer Blocker: it fails completely in this test, and causes stalls while loading pages.

My overall impression:
I really like what I see, the interface is nice and clear, I had no glitches other than what's mentioned above. Just hope that the performance can still be optimized. I really notice a slight impact on battery life :/ . It's really nice to have a set it and forget it solution that works in all browsers.

Test System:
OS: OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 14B25
Adguard: Adguard for Mac 1.0.36 Beta, Default filters (Germany)
Browser: Safari 8.0.2 (10600.2.5)
Firewall: Apple Firewall Enabled, Auto-Permit signed apps
Hardware: MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16 GB RAM
 

avatar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for the feedback!

First run error:
When starting Adguard for the first time I get the message "Adguard is not functioning! An error occurred during upgrading user Preferences. Adguard won't work correctly. Please contact support team." Quitting and reopening Adguard does work and everything's fine afterwards. (I should note, that I tried to start Adguard from the disk image before, which of course doesn't work, so that might have been the cause of this issue).
Could you please send us a message from the app (click "Support..." in menu and check "Attach diagnostic blahblah").

Apple Firewall asks for permission on every start:
Thanks, I've created a bug on this.

Performance:
We have not yet worked on performance seriously so I am sure there is a place for optimization.
 
Top