[Fixed] AdGuard's HTTPS filtering randomly fails on some sites but not all

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Nick, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Member

Not sure how long this has been happening for but I no longer see the AG assistant on YouTube pages and pages don't seem to be getting filtered.

I've tried disabling filters (user, English, Spyware and Social) one at a time, but it has no effect. I've also tried disabling Greasemonkey as I have a couple of YT scripts that may be interfering with things but again, it made no difference.

I've also updated AG and filters.

Any suggestions please?

Using AG v5.10.1186.6168 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 and FF browser.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

3. Nick

Nick Member

4. Boo Berry

Sounds like you've encountered a rare issue that I encountered during the last beta test period where HTTPS filtering fails on some Google domains (Google News, YouTube, etc.). In Google Chrome the issue also seemingly messed up Chrome's ability to update from the About Google Chrome page. From my observations, it seems the TDI driver is only affected - WFP doesn't seem to be. I've ended up reformatting Windows and replacing Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 with ESET Smart Security 8. What anti-virus software are you using?

The only way I found to 'fix' it is by enabling hidden folders in Windows Explorer, then navigating to C:\ProgramData\Adguard\NetworkTemp\SSL and deleting all files inside. Once you do that, reboot and it *should* start working again. Keep in mind this issue may appear again after a period of time, so you may need to repeat the 'fix'.

It might be a good idea to backup the SSL folder too, as avatar may be interested in using them to try to reproduce the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  5. mysteriously

mysteriously Beta Tester & Translator

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  6. Nick

Nick Member

Thanks...seems to have done the trick for the time being. Didn't need to reboot..just shut down Adguard and stopped the service before deleting the files and restarted the service and application afterwards.

I'm using ESET Smart Security too but v6.0.316.

7. Boo Berry

If it happens again, just repeat the 'fix' and try using the WFP driver. :)

8. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

I have this issue on both my Machines immediately after updating to 5.10.1186.6168. I am not sure about the cause though.

9. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

10. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

I had the same problem, no assistant and no filtering, in my case not with Youtube, but with regular https Google searches. Adguard's root certificate was installed in FF. Deleting the contents of the SSL folder solved the problem. I enabled the WFP driver and hope this solves this problem definitely. If any of the developers is interested in analyzing this, I made a backup of the SSL folder, so I could upoad it for you.

11. Boo Berry

Interesting, so this issue may be more widespread than I thought. I'm sure avatar and the dev team will try to reproduce and fix this issue once he's back from vacation.

12. mysteriously

mysteriously Beta Tester & Translator

I've checked WFP driver and still had google search ads and annotations and cookie banner on youtube. Then I disabled Bitdefender SSL scanng and it didn't help. I doubt it's Bitdefender issue. Like i said before those google domains issues are random. I came back to TDI driver. Screenshoot has been taken while I was using TDI driver. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  13. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

The issue is not specific to Firefox, it was the same with all the browsers that I tried and also Youtube Center Userscript stopped working as well. Everyting came to normal after deleting the contents of SSL folder and rebooting.

14. Boo Berry

Yep, that's the same issue I noticed during the last beta test. But I'd like to point out it isn't limited to Google domains or to just the TDI driver (WFP too, it seems), I've had it happen on other HTTPS sites like Facebook and Bing. I'm looking into ways to reproduce this on demand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  15. Boo Berry

Switching drivers (from WFP to TDI or vice versa) with a browser open (in my case Chrome) without rebooting seems to randomly reproduce the issue too. Still working on a reliable way to reproduce it.

16. avatar

That's not an error. While switching driver you stop filtering for a moment. During this time browser may create a new connection (unfiltered) which it will use for some time.

17. Boo Berry

True, but I also use a batch script to restart Adguard + Adguard's service and filtering resumes correctly... usually (verified it's filtering correctly on HTTPS sites with clean browser caches). Sometimes it triggers the issue. Sometimes after doing it correctly (reboot after switching) the issue pops up randomly too.

Since the issue seems to be a little more widespread than I thought, I renamed this topic as it isn't limited to Google's domains.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Okay, I'm going to post my observations of trying to diagnose and reproduce this issue on demand.

- Happens with HTTPS sites only.

- Other users besides myself are beginning to encounter this issue.

- When filtering fails on HTTPS sites the extensions like the Assistant and userscripts like YouTube Center don't load.

- It's a recent issue. I believe it was introduced in either the 5.10.1178.6114 or 5.10.1180.6137 beta builds. However, I can't downgrade to past beta versions to test and verify this.

- Doesn't seem to be limited to either the TDI or WFP drivers - I've had it happen equally with both.

- I originally noticed this on Google's domains (Google News, YouTube, etc.) but have since noticed it on other sites including Bing and Facebook.

- I don't believe it's an incompatibility with either anti-virus or SSL scanning features. I've tried it with KIS 2015, ESET Smart Security 8 and without anti-virus software installed. It still randomly happened.

- I've did some logging when I first noticed this for avatar and nothing showed up.

- You can workaround this issue by closing Adguard from the system tray, then navigating to the C:\ProgramData\Adguard\NetworkTemp\SSL folder then deleting all files inside except Adguard CA.cer and Adguard CA.pvk - rebooting after deleting the files.

- I've been able to randomly trigger this issue (though not reliably) by switching the network driver without rebooting AND after rebooting as intended. When I test this without rebooting after switching the network driver I use the following inside a .bat file called AdguardRestart.bat to restart Adguard and its service;

Code:
    @echo off
    TASKKILL.EXE /F /im Adguard.exe >nul
    NET.EXE STOP "Adguard Service"
    NET.EXE START "Adguard Service"
    start /d"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adguard" Adguard -p
    exit
    - I've also been able to randomly trigger this issue by changing Adguard's proxy setting from system proxy to no proxy and vice versa. Also been able to reproduce this by randomly toggling Internet Explorer's system-wide proxy setting, automatically detect settings.

Ultimately this issue will need to be investigated further by providing the logs and debug output needed. Perhaps avatar can post some information on logging this issue. If all else fails as a last resort, I may setup Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine and try reproducing the issue, then uploading the VM (which would take awhile due to being on slow internet).

18. avatar

I think that for some reason our SSL filter adds IP address to exclusions.
    Look for files with ".x" extension in the SSL folder when you run into this issue next time.

Also I am sure that switching Adguard filtering settings is not a good way to reproduce this.
    You trigger filtering restart which may cause unfiltered connections.

19. Ligre

Ligre Member

Я не знаю английского, но у меня очень похожая проблема, описанная Boo Berry. Пользуюсь только финальными версиями, в предыдущей все было хорошо.
    Я уже оставлял сообщение вот тут
    http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=31105&start=1620#5

20. Ligre

Ligre Member

У меня мобильный интернет, и так понимаю здесь в папке данные ip
    И это нехорошо для нормальной фильтрации?
    View attachment 1756