Forum sections for each extension (for general discussion + support of them)

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Adguard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Basically what the title says with the aim to separate the actual program general discussion + tech support from the extension general discussion + tech support. Have a section (each for English and Russian) for the browser extensions and extend the the actual program forums. I've got some more ideas regarding this, if you want to hear them. :)

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I was thinking about it for some time but laziness keep me from doing it:)
    This topic is a signal I should finally do it.

Of course I want:)

3. Boo Berry

Oh, I know that feeling. I've handled forums in the past and setting that up wasn't always fun to do. But once it was done, things got pretty tidy. The only issue I can see there is topics/posts being posted in the wrong forum section. You might need a moderator or two to handle the English side of things (looks like there's one mod that handles the Russian side). The other problem with more forum sections is, more forums to read. But this should condense and allow reporting site-specific false positives and possible issues.

As for the setup, here's what I was thinking. I have to point out that not only does this add an extension section, but it also restructures the main English (program) section around a good bit. I'll try to diagram this as much as possible. Here's the template example based on the current setup (any notes I have will have a <<< prefix) that I'll change around for the actual example;

English Forums <<<< This would be the section title
    - Releases <<< This would be the sub-forum
    (Previous and future versions. Wishlist.) <<< This would be the description for the sub-forum

Okay, there's the example of the existing setup detailing the Releases sub-forum. He's what changing all of it around would look like in my mind...

Announcements (English)
    - Announcements
    (Site and forum-related announcements) <<< This would be a global starting point that handles all important global site and forum-related announcements, e.g. forum rules and stuff like that.

Adguard for Windows (English)
    - Release Notes
    (Release notes for the latest Adguard for Windows builds)
    - Discussion
    (Discussion and questions regarding installing, tuning the settings, purchasing a license and anything else Adguard goes here! NOTE: Technical support topics needs to go in the appropriate forum section below!)
    - Technical Support
    (Are you having issues with Adguard crashing? Having issues installing Adguard? Need to find a setting or solution to an issue? Post about it here! NOTE: Topics about filters needs to go in the appropriate forum section below!)
    - Extensions
    (Are you having issues with an extension (userscript)? Do you have questions? We have answers! Please post about it here!)
    - Feature Requests
    (Got an idea for the program? Post all about it here!)

Adguard Browser Extensions (English)
    - Release Notes
    (Release notes for the latest Adguard extensions for your favorite browsers)
    - Adguard for Chrome
    (Discussion, questions and technical support for the Chrome extension)
    - Adguard for Firefox
    (Discussion, questions and technical support for the Firefox extension)
    - Adguard for Safari
    (Discussion, questions and technical support for the Safari extension)
    - Adguard for Opera
    (Discussion, questions and technical support for the Opera extension)
    - Adguard for Yandex.Browser
    (Discussion, questions and technical support for the Yandex.Browser extension)
    - Feature Requests
    (Got an idea for the extension? Post all about it here!)

Filter Rules (English)
    - Missed Ads
    (Has Adguard missed an ad? Please post about it here with the applicable URL(s)!)
    - False Positives
    (Are you encountering a false positive which is breaking a website? Please post about it here with the applicable URL(s)!)
    - Custom Filters
    (Do you have a question about creating filters or questions about using the Assistant? Please post all about custom filters here!)

General (English)
    - Adguard Affiliate Program
    (Earn by distributing Adguard!)
    - Off-Topic
    (Want to talk about other things? The weather? The news? Tech talk? It all goes here!)
    - Archive
    (The forum's archives are here)

That's really the general idea there into one direction (would have to be duplicated for the Russian sections). Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  4. avatar

Wow, you've done half of the work already!:)
    The forum structure you suggest is very good, don't know what to add now.

I don't know how to ask:) As I see it - you are the only guy who can handle it on this side.

5. Boo Berry

Yeah, I thought about it for about an hour and wrote out the template in a text editor and edited it quite a bit. I believe it'd work out pretty nicely. Plus it can be expanded easily with the launch of new products/extensions (e.g. Adguard for OS X). The only real grunt work involved, besides creating/changing those new forum sections, is moving the topics around to the new appropriate forum sections.

If you want, I'll volunteer doing that grunt work I mentioned if you create the sections. :) There's also other ideas like using [Verified] and [Resolved] tags on bug report topics and broken filter topics. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  6. avatar

One more argument for me to stop being lazy and do it tomorrow:)

7. avatar

Done. Thank you!

8. Boo Berry

Looking good! I'll start dredging through the sections and moving things to their (new) proper locations! ;)

9. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

Congratulations Boo Berry on becoming moderator. Great job with the forum!

10. Boo Berry

Thank you very much! :) If any of you guys sees anything I might of missed, forum PM me and I'll put it in its right location. :)