Four Questions + comment

bjm

1) How-To Unblock > Block ads on this website. What is Block ads used for.
2) Which xpi for FF49.0.1 release > amo-2.1.14-beta.xpi, amo-2.1.14-xpi, standalone-2.1.14.xpi
What's the difference between amo and standalone.
3) Um, is there a tutorial for "Filtering log". No idea why I'm offered Block Unblock. What does paperclip signify.
Are "Request details" > network requests. How do I know what ad/element is described in the "Request details". At a loss to understand why Log is offered to me. What might I use Log for. How might I use Log.

------------------------------------------------------------
By my read of Adguard information, browser extension is limited by the browser and as such does not block network traffic.
By my read browser extension does not block ads before page load.
By my read browser extension allows page to load and then hides ads/elements.
And yet browser extension is described as "blocks all ads and speeds up page loading".
Head scratch over how browser extension "blocks" sans blocking network traffic.
Head scratch over how browser extension "speeds up" since entire page loads anyway.
Head scratch over how browser extension "blocks" spyware / adware.
--------------------------------------------------------
Please do not misunderstand me. Adguard browser extension does a great job hiding ads and presume filtering trackers. I'm just not sure browser extension blocks ads before page loading nor not sure browser extension speeds up page loading. Not sure browser extension blocks spyware / adware. I'm thinking filters vs blocks. Unless "blocks" regarding browser extension infers blocks user from seeing.

4) Does browser extension block traffic before page loading. Does browser extension block ads/elements/spyware/adware before page loading.

(English, Spyware, Social, Annoyance) Thanks :)

Last edited:

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
By my read browser extension does not block ads before page load.
By my read browser extension allows page to load and then hides ads/elements.
Most of ads are loaded **after** the page is loaded. Don't you see some delay before ads appear on the page? Browser extensions still block loading of ads which happen after the page is loaded.
Head scratch over how browser extension "speeds up" since entire page loads anyway.
Entire page is not loaded.
I'll pass other questions to others :)

bjm

Most of ads are loaded **after** the page is loaded. Don't you see some delay before ads appear on the page? Browser extensions still block loading of ads which happen after the page is loaded.

Adguard for Windows blocks traffic before page load. Adguard extension....I see black box space and delay waiting for wanted content while hidden ads are running, before I see wanted content.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1) How-To Unblock > Block ads on this website. What is Block ads used for.
All rules created by 'Block ads on this website' can be found in User filter and removed from there, if needed. Manual block tool is mostly used to remove any element that is not necessarily an ad, but which particular user doesn't want to see on the page anyway. Or, simply, to manually block missed ads.

3) Um, is there a tutorial for "Filtering log". No idea why I'm offered Block Unblock. What does paperclip signify.
No, no specific tutorial for filtering log. We have a tutorial for custom filter rules, thats about as close as it gets.
Paperclip is an indicator for third-party requests.
'Blocked' is simply to show only those requests that were blocked by Adguard.

Are "Request details" > network requests. How do I know what ad/element is described in the "Request details". At a loss to understand why Log is offered to me. What might I use Log for. How might I use Log.
Request details is nothing more than a window with some more information about a particular request. You can get an idea of what a request is by opening it in a new tab. Filtering log is very useful for those who create custom filter rules and for filter developers alike. Regular user usually will not find it very useful, although sometimes it might be during the dialog with support.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
2) Which xpi for FF49.0.1 release > amo-2.1.14-beta.xpi, amo-2.1.14-xpi, standalone-2.1.14.xpi
What's the difference between amo and standalone.
Two AMO versions are for addons.mozilla.org, one of them is for faster review. Standalone is a beta build with update channel.

bjm

Two AMO versions are for addons.mozilla.org, one of them is for faster review. Standalone is a beta build with update channel.
re: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardBrowserExtension/releases
Okay, still do not know which 2.4.x build to install if I do not want to wait for AMO approval. I came across verbiage somewhere (sorry cannot find now) that explained 2.4.x was just waiting for AMO approval and that 2.4.x is ready to install for those not wanting to wait for AMO approval. So, I started to install 2.4.x, then realized there's three Firefox builds. Not knowing which build if any would update to AMO approved 2.4.x once AMO releases 2.4.x.

bjm

Remain at a disadvantage to understand the line between Adguard for Windows and Adguard browser extension.

What is the difference between browser extension and Adguard for Windows desktop version?
The very process of filtering is much improved. Extension capabilities are limited by the browser. But the program filters a page even before loading to browser, and that ensures the high speed and security.
https://adguard.com/en/faq.html

By my read the program (Adguard for Windows) filters a page event before loading to browser and Adguard browser extension does not because extension capability are limited by the browser. And the Adguard description page with my browser extension offers "blocks all ads and speeds up page loading", "blocks many spyware, adware, dialer installers (optional)".
I'm simply trying to find the difference. Adguard for Windows filters before page loading. Adguard for Windows blocks traffic before page loading decreasing traffic to page and increasing page load performance. Since, Adguard browser extension capabilities are limited by the browser. Adguard browser extension does not "blocks all ads and speeds up page loading". By my read (please correct me) Adguard browser extension filters aka hides ads after page loading because a browser extension (any adblocker browser extension) cannot filter a page event before loading to browser. Otherwise, why offer Adguard browser extension free while charging for Adguard for Windows.
Protects against virus attacks: due to restrictions, browser extension can check only a part of elements being loaded and does not prevent their loading. Whereas Adguard for Windows checks all loading elements before they are loaded to the browser.
https://adguard.com/en/faq.html

By my read browser extension does not blocks ads, spyware, adware before page loading nor speed up page loading. I'm thinking browser extension filters ads after page loading vs blocks network traffic ads, spyware, adware before page load. Unless "blocks" regarding browser extension simply infers blocks user from seeing.
4) Does browser extension block traffic before page loading. Does browser extension block ads/elements/spyware/adware before page loading.
I'm simply pointing out that in my opinion the description with Adguard browser extension over-reaches and suggests a likeness to Adguard for Windows that is not supported by https://adguard.com/en/faq.html
And not supported by my observations at for example pch.com
Adverts run hidden as time passes and presume as bandwidth is used waiting for desirous pch.com content.
Respectfully submitted

Last edited:

bjm

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Edit: re 2.4.14 = Firefox prevented this site from installing unverified.
FF49.0.1 + xpinstall.signatures.required = false
Sometimes you have to restart the browser after installing the extension. And the warning is only a warning, it will not affect the extension's workability.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yeah, it's the security measures in Firefox causing this. As far as I know you can't disable it in the stable version in Firefox (but you can in the Developer edition and Nightly builds) and will have to download and use the latest version available from the Mozilla Addons (AMO) Adguard page.

For what I can tell, 2.4.14 hasn't been reviewed/approved on AMO yet.

bjm

Yeah, it's the security measures in Firefox causing this. As far as I know you can't disable it in the stable version in Firefox [..].
Yep, as I thought with FF49 release channel. I'll wait for Mozilla approval. Thanks
Example of head scratch re "blocks all ads and speeds up page loading". Ad runs hidden. Then game displays. Then Ad runs hidden. Then game displays. etc.
Adguard check out these messages.png Adguard Please view this message from.png

Last edited:

bjm

@vasily_bagirov
Well, since you've advertised 2.4 prior to Mozilla approval. Maybe, add a footnote...e.g., download the extension directly from our GitHub repository does not work for FF49 release channel. #13
Needs to be added that new version might not be available at Mozilla add-ons store, Opera store and Safari Extensions Gallery yet. It is due to the necessary review process that will inevitably take some time. But don't be upset, you can still download the extension directly from our GitHub repository.

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@bjm we have a footnote about availability from GitHub, and it does work this way - you just need to set the 'xpinstall.signatures.required' to 'false'. And this information will be visible in the browser once you try to install the exxtension.