GMail

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Odd, I use Gmail a lot and I'm not seeing this (yet). I'm sure it's likely a false positive though.

Gass

I now got that AG warning too on all my advertisements emails that get delivered to my gmail account. > But only when I clicked on thoes email.
Otherwise just going to gmail nothing happened with AG.
It's clicking on the emails with ads, so maybe it's google has changed something to render the images in these emails ads and not Adguard fault possibly as it's only doing what it's suppose to do.

Clicking on the AG warning I saw this-

You can't see the IP very well above in my reduced image but this is what I found out when I checked it-

Just going to gmail and logging in I get nothing from Adguard like I said - it's behaves till an email I click on opens with some ad images. Wakes up Adguard right now - sounds like a car wreck in front of myself... Cool once or twice but not all the time.
Hope it explains what I saw/experienced to help ya.
Gass :D

Last edited:

Gass

Nope - seems old emails stored in folders triggers the AG popup too without any images or ads in them. Something has been changed since yesterday cause it wasn't happening then or days before. I'm in gmail everyday... and this is all new haps. Almost every email opened triggers AG now :oops:
Gass :eek:

zIBiT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi! `ci3.googleusercontent.com` has been removed from phishing filter.

Gass

Hi! `ci3.googleusercontent.com` has been removed from phishing filter.
I just checked two gmail accounts and all appears quite now - thanks. :cool:
I had something like this happening a couple years ago when logging to a T-Mobile account, something they used AG didn't like and threw up a warning.
I always think better safe than sorry - so I understand it takes diving in and researching to deem something safe. Then that's where AG users base helps the AG Team to better it.
I turned off adguard until this is fixed, it's doing it over and over while I'm in Gmail.
That's one solution at least for Gmail, then I hope you turned AG back on when you left GM. But It's been addressed now and I don't see any AG popup warnings in two gmail accounts I've checked. ;)

Gass

Dear Adguard Team,
I do understand that the WOT extension is gone from AG (Happy Days).
https://blog.adguard.com/en/official-statement-on-web-of-trust-case/

But why is anything of WOT still used/seen being influenced in Adguard then?
The WOT tops the list of Site Reports in image above in my post #7 - seen full size by Catman51 link -
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-report/ci3.googleusercontent.com/report.html

Still shows WOT has an influence in Adguard's direction with it's Site Report, which has been said to take it's weight as a grain of salt.
Hello @Gass!
WOT ratings emerge as a sum of users' opinions. Sometimes it does reflect the real state of things, and sometimes not. I advise you to treat WOT ratings with a grain of salt, mostly relying on personal impression and experience and only following it in borderline cases.
Post #2 has this above at https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/adguard-and-wot.14833/

I don't understand why, as another site could be used in the warnings popup of Adguard and dropping WOT's involvement in Adguard totally, and if this has been an overlooked area where WOT is still used by Adguard (as seems it is endorsing it) - which is not endangering a users data as the extension had once done. But still here...

Thanks for looking into this :)

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
WOT hasn't been fully removed, it's just disabled by default (with the option to remove it). Some users might see some benefit from using WOT (e.g. the reputation data), hence why it does remain as an option.

Gass

WOT hasn't been fully removed, it's just disabled by default (with the option to remove it). Some users might see some benefit from using WOT (e.g. the reputation data), hence why it does remain as an option.
I was wrong to think it was totally gone then, only from my copy of Adguard - as I got rid of it's extension when first able to. Which I might add Adguard's program updates respects my decision and it's not a recurring event one has to undertake with each new update to the AG program. A Valuable treatment of the user decision. Although I question the actual users numbers using the AG WOT extension, as WoT extension is disabled by default (since the news broke) in the next future versions of AG for Windows and Mac.

For clarity purposes - the Web of Trust extension in Adguard, was developed by Adguard, using the data on websites reputation by Web of Trust. And it's important to mention that Adguard bought this data for money, and has never traded the privacy of it's users.

Furthermore, it was the original Web of Trust extension that was removed from addons.mozilla.org site and may have been just the evil one. [ Web of Trust, provide users with a service that requires access to every site visited in the browser. That original WOT extension was designed to offer security and privacy guidance for sites visited in the browser. Panorama reported that Web of Trust logs collected information such as time and date, location, web address and user ID. The information are sold to third-parties who may sell the data again to interested companies. WOT (at that time) notes on its website that it hands over data to third-parties but only in anonymized form. The team of reporters managed to identify several user accounts however which suggests that the anonymization does not work as intended. ] https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/01/browsing-history-sold/

@ - This is an interesting concept here - "Privacy Icons", maybe something like I've read long ago about the Adguard Assistant was capable of to an extent of changing colors to warn users. Wished Adguard had something fully developed like this...
Privacy Icons shows you a set of icons for every site you visit and search result you see. At a glance, you'll understand the most important terms from a website’s privacy policy and other information about how your data is collected, used and handled.
https://disconnect.me/icons#howtheywork

Now would that be a great offering for Adguard users of the installed Adguard program?

Thanks Boo Berry for clarification here :)
Gass

Last edited: