[?] Google Safe Browsing

Discussion in 'Discussion (Adguard for Windows)' started by Fad, May 1, 2014.

1. Fad

Fad Beta Tester

I see the Google Malicious sites and Phishing filters are disabled by default.

Is there a specific reason for this other than for user choice, or initially reducing memory usage/keeping filter lists smaller ?

If enabled - are the Google lists downloaded and used by Adguard, then no other communication occurs with Google servers except for downloading & updating the lists ?

2. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

With google safe browsing being enabled in the main browsers i would say its more of a chioce option, of cause i can not speak for all the browsers especially the custom builds but chrome, firefox and ie all have it enabled by default i believe.

3. Fad

Fad Beta Tester

You`re absolutely right and I didn`t think of that, I have always had them disabled in the browser.

The main point now would be whether there is any communication between Adguard and Google other than the downloading & updating of filter lists - clarification that the google lists are only used internally.

4. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

5. Fad

Fad Beta Tester

Thanks, I hadn`t seen that before.

If that`s the case it would be interesting to know which implemetation is being used - whether it`s the less privacy aware Safe Browsing Lookup API version.

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Google Safe Browsing is already used by most of users because it's integrated into Firefox and Chrome.

What for the second question - we are using Protocol v2, so yes, we communicate with their servers to check/download updates only.

7. Fad

Fad Beta Tester

Thankyou Avatar

It`s reassuring to hear the more privacy aware v2 is being used.