Google SafeBrowsing

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Accel, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

As far as I know, Adguard still use this. At least the 2 checkboxs in options for that are still there
    To summarize how it works : you regularly update a list of site from google, and if you run into one of them, the browser connect to google servers to know if it is still on their blacklist, and if yes it displays things to explain that the site you tried to go on is not safe etc.

I disabled it, but it's not why I do this post.
    Today I ran into this : https://code.google.com/p/google-safe-browsing/wiki/Protocolv2Spec
    According to this, a google authorization is needed to use that. I searched a little bit and ran here : https://developers.google.com/safe-browsing/
    There, it's not clear, but it is explained in its developer guide that an API key is required from google. do Adguard have this keys?

I'm not sure what Adguard actually do, but the current situation have something wrong.

From Stable and Free to Experimental and Paid, what's the stance of adguard regarding this. AFAIK, the stance of Palemoon dev, is to remove safebrowsing API from the source code, and the works had been done, I have received the git update

Thank You

2. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Yes adguard have a key otherwise they wouldn't be able to use the feature, you can sign up for a key yourself but of cause you would need to have an application to add it to, to use it.

https://developers.google.com/safe-browsing/key_signup

We will limit the number of users you can support with a single API key. If you expect to have more than 10,000 users sending regular requests to the API, you must cache the data on your servers and serve it to your users yourself

3. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

the problem is google made an experimental safe browsing API (v2) and stopped v1

as it is experimental and have to be PAID AFAIK because you need google authorization, do this really needed as we already have some alternative like antivirus' web scanner or reputation checker like WOT?

4. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

You dont have to use it and thats why its disabled by default, there was a talk about this feature before and as i said then its already enabled on many of the big browsers. In fact as you already know its in Pale Moon and have said they are removing it. Im too lazy to find the other post was about a month or so ago though.

5. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We plan to stop using Google Safebrowsing. Maybe even in 5.10 version.

The main problem is that they are switching to ProtocolV3 and disabling ProtocolV2.
    In my opinion it is not normal to make such important change so fast.

So I think now we are ready to remove these lists:
    1. These filters were disabled by default since Adguard 5.6
    2. Google Safebrowsing is already used by Chrome and Firefox browsers, no need to duplicate this function.

We will stick to our own filters which are good enough.

6. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

yes, that's right. and the v3 is experimental at best. i think firefox paying them.. why should they paying for something experimental is out of my mind.

7. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Its a new thing thats coming in, alot of people are paying to try out alpha/beta based games i guess its to show support and to have some say in the development including maybe it being faster for your product.