Help me impinge on Auto-playing Videos!

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Chrome and Opera' started by saurabhdua, Apr 14, 2018.

1. saurabhdua

saurabhdua New Member

Hello!

Using the Latest version of AdGuard on my Yandex web browser - 18.2.0.284.

Help me impinge on the auto-playing Videos !

For e.g. - as I sign out of my AOL Mail A/c. , the resulting page start playing embedded Video all of a sudden, without my permission.

Same is the case with couple of other websites as well !

So, how do we cull auto-playing videos using AdGuard ?

Is there a specialized filter to accomplish such an objective?

Inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

It depends on the site. Without urls we can't check.
    I would recommend the extension "Disable HTML5 Autoplay" though.

3. saurabhdua

saurabhdua New Member

Hi Blaz !

Here are the few amongst many examples :-

1) http://www.grunge.com/38470/secrets...&utm_campaign=zergnet_2763132&utm_content=239

2) http://www.looper.com/117132/ending-quiet-place-explained/

3) https://www.aol.com/?ncid=crosssellusaolc00000003

& secondly, why can't we rely on a single extension = AdGuard to fulfill such an objective ?!

Afterall, "Ghostery" does the same quite wonderfully when configured with - "Block everything" !

Please suggest the replica within AdGuard ?

Thanks.

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

IMO, relying on an adblocker extension to block HTML5 autoplay seems a bit out-of-scope to me. Also seems to me this should be at least up to each web browser to provide such options to block autoplay.

5. saurabhdua

saurabhdua New Member

Hi Boo Berry !

So how we do that for Chrome/Chromium based web-browsers ? ...via any 'about:config' window or anything similar ?
    I remember tinkering such a setting for FF using above. It did stop playing of embedded videos but couldn't hold over buffering though !

& I quoted a Ghostery example as well !

So, what's the replica within AdGuard ? ...or any specialized filter subscription to impinge BOTH on the - buffering & auto-play of embedded Videos ?

Thanks.

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

From my own testing, Ghostery doesn't stop all videos that autoplay either, only ones on that are on their blocklist(s) unless the site is whitelisted. IMO, blocking autoplay is also out-of-scope for an extension like Ghostery too. I don't believe there's a way (in an adblocker) to disable autoplay of ALL videos with one filter rule. It'd have to be by a site-by-site basis.

It'd be much easier (and better) to run an extension that's dedicated to blocking autoplay in web browsers. Or better yet, if the web browsers themselves add features to block autoplay of videos.

7. saurabhdua

saurabhdua New Member

Thanks again !

So finally, are you aware of any 'about:config" related tweak for Chrome/Chromium based web browsers?

Can I afford to shed the load of an another extension by tweaking my browser for this purpose from within ?

8. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

Video on 1st link is by connatix.com according to code and that ad is blocked here. Therefore with AdGuard's English filter you shouldn't see that video normally.
    Video on 2nd link is not autostarting here.
    3rd link is redirecting me to main site, also nothing autostarting here.

Sadly I didn't find a setting in Chrome itself :(

9. saurabhdua

saurabhdua New Member

Please re-check as the embedded Video below the Top-most / prominent News story is playing automatically without fail !
    Are you already using "Disable HTML 5 Autoplay" by any chance ?

& Iam too surprised over the contrary 1st & 2nd references because I got to land on these sites a day before via Miscellaneous stories links on Neowin.net !

The embedded Video-Ad on either of these were indeed auto-playing on a little scroll-down of the respective webpages !

Nonetheless, Thanks to all for genuine contributions over this thread.