Hide ads instead of blocking

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Windows)' started by utg001, Nov 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. utg001

utg001 New Member

My primary reason for using ad blocker is that the ads make websites look horrible, they often give bad information and can trick you to click something you shouldn't. However there are many sites that I visit that NEED ad revenue to stay alive.

I suggest a feature, that allows my browser to load ads on websites (including YouTube) so that the website (or channel) may get ad revenue, but my browser should not display the ads. This would make the perfect ad-hiding tool so that I am happy that I'm not seeing junk, the website/channels are happy that they are getting some money, and advertisers "think' that I'm being affected by their ads.

Please, I would pay for such a tool.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

You could just add exception filters to domains to the user filter, e.g. @@||youtube.com

3. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@utg001 that's not really possible, the best solution is to whitelist websites you want to support.

4. utg001

utg001 New Member

would that hide ads from displaying on my browser while still counting as viewed?

5. ezekial52787

ezekial52787 New Member

negative

6. d0x

d0x New Member

You realize by hiding ads you are leaving yourself open to malware? Ad servers are constantly being used to send out nasty things so blocking ads is the way to go. If you want to help a site find a way to donate money to them. Contact them and see if they have a paypal account or something and send them $1 or 2...that's more than they would make from your ad views per month i can promise you that

Seriously...right now ads are really really bad. That's why blocking them has become such a huge deal. Even the almighty google has served malicious ads

7. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It may be acceptable to allow ads on a specific website if you absoultely trust them and want to support them. Certainly wouldn't recommend doing it for random websites.

8. Lorne Wolf MacKenzie

Lorne Wolf MacKenzie New Member

Personally after seeing some of the latest "news" about malware & hacking...I would rather take the safer approach & not allow ads to be shown on my system without SPECIFICALLY asking to see them. Unfortunately those who are behind the various programs be it malware/virus/ransomware are not going to care about whatever advertising is on a site. I agree there are other ways' to support a site you can/do trust & would rather take those steps myself

9. Michael Grant

Michael Grant New Member

There are some sites (e.g. newspapers) that I subscribe to (and pay for) and still have ads which block me using AdBlock. I get a popup asking me to disable the adblocker before letting me read an article even though I am logged in.

I would like to +1 this feature request. There are certain sites which I would trust enough to just hide ads. I agree that it would be bad to do this by default everywhere. However, there could be a stealth mode which just hid the ads on selected sites.

And honestly they site loses nothing from me on this. I have tried unhiding the ads and the ads are for things which are so far from things I would buy it's wasted on me!

10. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Anyone encountering anti-adblock messages should use the reporting tool (click on the Assistant, and select report the website and follow the instructions) to get that stuff fixed.

It's not viable "hiding" ads instead of blocking them.

11. d0x

d0x New Member

The problem is your trust is misplaced. Adblocking is a necessity of security when browsing the web and no matter how reputable the site is.. they can and have served malware through ads. Even Google has served malware ads.

As long as the site still works after closing the adblock message you should continue blocking. If needed there is an extension for chrome and Firefox that removes overlays and it also works with kiwi browser on Android.

I can't stress enough how it really is a matter of basic safety.

12. Lorne Wolf MacKenzie

Lorne Wolf MacKenzie New Member

More out of preventative measure & curiosity is this something that the mobile app has as well?

Premium Version 3.0.297 (1.3.207cl) on Stable Release is compact & more mobile (beginner as well!) user friendly. Advanced/Experienced user's would be able to follow the advice posted on this topic quite quickly.
    On the Desktop version I was able to get an "extension" as it was, that just sat in my docket, called "Assistant". It was merely a pause control when needed on a site temporarily. It was also a quick shortcut to creating an exception rule or as Boo Berry has replied, reporting a site.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A8 running Oreo 8.0 right now so my screen is cut in half when the stock keyboard is displayed as well. But if I have to switch APP's then try to find a sub-menu to send a report, it's possible to miss that very feature despite my experience with AdGuard due to mobile screen size.

As a quick easy use of the reporting system, regardless of which OS is installed, would it be possible to have a separate notification/shortcut to JUST creating a "Report about Website ----" built-in to the app itself so user's can't/won't miss it?
    Obviously I don't expect given the various mobile types to get an exact replica of the desktop version. Although ...