Hotjar.com - High Volume Site Tracker/Optimizer

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by SouthernDevGirl, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SouthernDevGirl

SouthernDevGirl New Member

Is hotjar.com intentionally not included in the AdGuard Base Filter?

It's one of the more popular and heavily used site-optimizer services that track user behavior. Even if privacy isn't the concern for some, this adds needless bulk to the page and is so common that I had thought it would be included in the base filter?

I've already got a personal rule setup for this, my concern is not for myself, but the community.

For my personal rule, I just use the simple third-party option:
    ||hotjar.com^$Third-Party

Thanks in advance!

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

As you mentioned it tracks user behaviour.
    And for tracking we have AdGuard Tracking Protection filter.

3. SouthernDevGirl

I understand, but just to be clear, are you saying that ... No matter how popular or common an included site might be, if that site is used for "tracking", then it would never be added to the "Base" filter?

Prior to posting, I looked though the Base filters and I noticed tracking sites. My impression was that the Base filter does indeed include tracking-related rules -- it simply doesn't go as far as the Tracking filter. Which makes sense because a lot of people like to keep their rules slim and Base covers the majority of very reliable filters that don't break things and are more common/obtrusive, even when that overlaps a bit with, say, tracking.

In this case, Hotjar shows so often and so clearly won't break anything (and does use resources, unlike many pests that are more innocuous in nature).

4. Blaz

Tracking domains are added to Tracking Protection Filter, unleserlich they also serve ads or coming from EasyList.

5. SouthernDevGirl

Sure, but for example, two of the largest trackers could be considered Google Tag Manager and/or Google Analytics. However, they are included in the true Base filter (without EasyList).

I was thinking that was because they are so prevalent/common?

6. Blaz

I guess you are talking about these rules:

Code:
    ||google-analytics.com/analytics.js$empty,important,domain=reevown.com
    ||googletagmanager.com/gtag/$domain=strikeout.nu
    ||googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?$empty,important,domain=free-mp3-download.net
    ||googletagmanager.com/gtag/js$domain=kissmanga.com,empty,important

These are listed in Anti-Adblock section. The general url block rule for both domains are listed in Tracking Protection filter.

SouthernDevGirl likes this.
  7. SouthernDevGirl

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

I try to keep my rules as light as possible, and I had avoided the tracking originally. As I'm learning from you, I realize that the tracking is more valuable than the idea that it's primary for those interested in privacy.