How to remove AdGuard certificate from Firefox on Android

LightSpectra

Hello all, I installed the Adguard root certificate into Firefox for Android in order to filter HTTPS connections. I am currently trying to debug a problem I am having though. Is there a way to remove the certificate without completely uninstalling Firefox?

Thank you

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello!

You should go to Settings -> Security -> Trusted credentials. There you will see 'User' tab, open it. Tap on Adguard CA and remove it.

There is a known bug when sometimes Android will not let you to disable password protection even after you remove the certificate. In this case you have to tap on 'Clear credentials' in Security settings.

LightSpectra

Thank you for responding. Doesn't that remove it from the Android register, but not Firefox's particular register? (I am going by the button in Adguard that says "Firefox-based browsers ignore system certificates and their own certificate storage. Tap to install certificate into the browser", which is what I originally used to install it into Firefox.)

I don't see any way to manage certificates in Firefox on Android, although I know how on desktop.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yeah, don't believe it'll remove it from Firefox's certificate store (since it's separate from the system). The only way, I can think of, is clearing the data and cache of the Firefox app itself.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Doesn't that remove it from the Android register, but not Firefox's particular register?
True, I misunderstood your question. I too tried to uninstall certificate from Firefox, even installed some plugins, but no luck. If you could find some way, please let us know, it would be really helpful for many users.

LightSpectra

I can confirm that clearing your app data and cache will remove the certificate. Unfortunately that also wipes out all your bookmarks and extensions, but I can restore from Firefox Sync.

Thanks for the help. I will put in a feature request to Mozilla for some way to manage your Firefox on Android certificates.

Kenohara

I was able to remove it from Firefox,in order to do so your device needs to be rooted, i used X-plore ( i give him root permission ) you can use any other file explorers all you have to do is to go to this folder in your device rom not sdcard ( /data/data/org.mozilla.firefox/files/mozilla/3ec4wdqx.default/ ) and delete "cert9.db" file

Karamzin

Знаю, что тред англоязычный, но столкнулся с той же проблемой. Могу лишь дополнить предыдущего оратора, что удалять полностью cert.db9 необязательно, достаточно удалить из него запись о сертификате с помощью sqlite-редактора (типа DB Browser for SQLite) и вернуть файл на место, восстановив права и владельца. Естественно, требуется root.