How to remove AdGuard from iMac

Richard Jeffery

I wish to remove Adguard from my iMac but am unable to.

When trying to move the Adguard application to Trash, a message displays saying it can't be moved to Trash as it is open. However, I cannot see that it is open. I go to Force Quit to see if I can close it that way but it is not showing as being open and running.

When I click on Adguard in Launchpad, it doesn't actually do anything. It doesn't open as a normal application would so I cannot close it (as it hasn't actually opened).

I can only assume it is automatically running in the background.

However, I no longer want Adguard as it is indiscriminately blocking all ads/pop ups etc. and am keen to remove it. Please help.

Richard Jeffery

Thanks again but I can't get this to work either - I can pick up the adguard app but as soon as I release it, it just moves back into my Application folder.

I can only assume that when I downloaded Adguard originally, all the files weren't installed correctly. I don't actually seem to have any Adguard files on my Mac other than the Application icon in my Application folder but something is running to stop me actually removing it. I've tried re-downloading (which I can do) but when it asks me to move the application to the application folder, I can't because it says the application is already open ..... arrrrrrh !!!!

Richard Jeffery

ok,

1. close Adguard
2. stop Adguard in System Information,
3. clear Adguard.app in Apple Firewall,
4. use AppCleaner, or move Adguard.app in Trash
5. clear Trash
6. and now Advanced uninstall from https://adguard.com/en/how-to-delete-adguard.html#howForMac
perhaps offline work, I hope it helps
Thanks for this. The main problem is I cannot close Adguard and I have now raised a ticket with Adguard’s Technical Support in the hope they can assist.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We've thought about this problem a while, and as strange as it sounds, the most likely explanation we see is that Adguard is actually open and running. Maybe you simply have too many icons in status bar and Adguard icon is not showing?

Force Quit also shows only apps with interfaces. What should help to see if Adguard is actually running is Activity Monitor. Please open it to check and let us know then.

Richard Jeffery

We've thought about this problem a while, and as strange as it sounds, the most likely explanation we see is that Adguard is actually open and running. Maybe you simply have too many icons in status bar and Adguard icon is not showing?

Force Quit also shows only apps with interfaces. What should help to see if Adguard is actually running is Activity Monitor. Please open it to check and let us know then.
Thank you for your reply.

Having looked in my applications folder, I do not have anything called Activity Monitor. Could you please advise where in my Mac I should find this?

Richard Jeffery

Hello

Okay - I have found Adguard in Activity Monitor and opened it. I was able to Quit the application and then move the application to Trash successfully.

Many thanks for your prompt assistance in resolving my issue.

Regards.