How to use AG & another app's VPN at the same time?

Nzyme

I think the title says it all. AG uses a VPN connection to filter traffic and there are other apps like VPN Master & VyprVPN for routing traffic through servers located in other countries for bypassing blocked content. How can I use both these apps at the same time? That is, filter traffic through AG & also route the traffic through these apps? If I have to use VyprVPN, then AG turns off and vice versa. Due to this, the other VPN apps shows ads & send other tracking/analytics data to their servers. How do I solve this? Thanks!

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Nzyme As you probably know, Android doesn't allow two VPNs to run at the same time. However, there are several ways to have Adguard and other VPN to run alongside:

1) If your device is rooted, simply switch Adguard to HTTP proxy filtering mode. It has no drawbacks compared to VPN mode in this case, and you will be able to run another VPN app.

2) If your device is not rooted, you still can use Adguard in proxy mode, but there are certain limitations. You will have to configure proxy for each WiFi network manually, and there's no way to do so for cellular data. Not very convenient.

3) Some VPN services (such as PIA VPN for example) allow to use so-called upstream proxy. It means that you use Adguard in VPN mode, and set it up so that it uses SOCKS5 proxy. Not every VPN has this option, but most major ones do.

Nzyme

@Nzyme As you probably know, Android doesn't allow two VPNs to run at the same time. However, there are several ways to have Adguard and other VPN to run alongside:

1) If your device is rooted, simply switch Adguard to HTTP proxy filtering mode. It has no drawbacks compared to VPN mode in this case, and you will be able to run another VPN app.

2) If your device is not rooted, you still can use Adguard in proxy mode, but there are certain limitations. You will have to configure proxy for each WiFi network manually, and there's no way to do so for cellular data. Not very convenient.

3) Some VPN services (such as PIA VPN for example) allow to use so-called upstream proxy. It means that you use Adguard in VPN mode, and set it up so that it uses SOCKS5 proxy. Not every VPN has this option, but most major ones do.
@vasily_bagirov - Thank you so much for the prompt response. I have a non-rooted phone and as per your advise, I think I will opt for option 3 and am thinking of subscribing to Private Internet Access VPN which supports socks5 proxy. So is SOCKS5 the preferred way to go or does it have it's own limitations when using with AG? What I mean is will AG work in it's full potential just as without using a SOCKS5 proxy or will there be any kind of leaks? One other thing is there a guide showing me the steps to configure AG using SOCKS5? Thanks!

Last edited:

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What I mean is will AG work in it's full potential just as without using a SOCKS5 proxy or will there be any kind of leaks?
Adguard will work as normal, using SOCKS5 limits the VPN perks a bit, you'll probably find more details on their website.

One other thing is there a guide showing me the steps to configure AG using SOCKS5?
PIA VPN gives these guidelines on their website:

SOCKS5 Proxy Usage Guides
proxy-nl.privateinternetaccess.com port 1080
You can use this information to enter to Adguard's 'Settings -> Advanced -> Proxy settings -> SOCKS5'.

Cordain

Hi, new user here, just trying to to get this set up. I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread to ask a follow up question about this.

I set up a socks5 proxy for my VPN service, but how do I verify that it's working?

Anche io vorrei sapere come si usa Adguard per smartphone Android con la VPN NETWORK assieme, con app per PC Windows 10 è possibile fare, funziona perfettamente!
Grazie

Last edited:

Farshid

Question my VPN app supports http proxy for the connection it makes to the remote server, i tried AdGuard in HTTP server mode and set the proxy for vpn app to use the proxy and it couldn't connect. I used 127.0.0.1 and 0.0.0.0 and localhost with the provided 8080 port and none of them worked but In theory this should work right?

Farshid

And i know about setting local http proxy in WiFi but i want to know if the the other VPN App supports HTTP proxy then it makes sense to work with AdGuard's local http proxy mode

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
The VPN application can run in standard mode. You set up a local proxy for AdGuard and can continue to work.

Farshid

The VPN application can run in standard mode. You set up a local proxy for AdGuard and can continue to work.
let me explain again
I was looking for possibilities to make VPN App (not the spoofing ip vpn provider) work with AdGuard's local HTTP server mode. I know about other ways it's clear,

karimkarim

let me explain again
I was looking for possibilities to make VPN App (not the spoofing ip vpn provider) work with AdGuard's local HTTP server mode. I know about other ways it's clear,
Thank you so much for the prompt response. I have a non-rooted phone and as per your advise, I think I will opt for option 3 and am thinking of subscribing to Private Internet Access VPN which supports socks5 proxy. So is SOCKS5 the preferred way to go or does it have it's own limitations when using with AG? What I mean is will AG work in it's full potential just as without using a SOCKS5 proxy or will there be any kind of leaks? One other thing is there a guide showing me the steps to configure AG using SOCKS5? Thanks!

Just configured SOCKS5 and it works.

Problem: unencrypted traffic.

So it defeats the whole idea of having a vpn subscription service and adguard.

I think that everybody here has the same goal: use adguard AND encrypt traffic.

Imho the only way of doing that ATM with android is rooting and using adguard in HTTP proxy mode.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Other than rooting or using SOCKS proxies, there's really not much that can be done about it as it's an Android limitation where you can only use one VPN at a time, even though AG for Android uses a local VPN, it still counts as one.