IE11 and/or Usenet, queries before troubleshooting other avenues.

Discussion in 'Discussion (Beta Versions)' started by Pentlands, Sep 29, 2014.

  1. Pentlands

    Pentlands Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    Hi,

    I'm not implying this has anything to do with Adguard at the moment but as it's the only Beta software installed on my PC i thought this would be a good place to start by asking if anyone else is having (or has seen) an issue with Internet Explorer 11 and/or Usenet.

    The issue i see with IE11 is quite recent, perhaps the last 3-4 weeks, more often than not when i first load IE11 after cold booting my PC it appears to open but the Menu Bar is greyed out and my homepage of google.co.uk is very slow in loading. Closing and restarting IE11 will load the browser fully functional.

    As for Usenet, again this has only surfaced in the last 3-4 weeks, i use Grabit as a reader and have access to two NNTP news servers, Astraweb & my ISP's own server Virginmedia. I can never seem to get more than 120Mb no matter how many simultaneous connections i set the reader at... i was wondering if perhaps the Adguard Traffic filtering in some way might be holding this back? I also tested the trial version of Forte Agent 7 with similar results.

    My current Adguard version is 5.10.1164.5986 with filter last updated 3 hours ago.

    I am on an up to 152Mb package with my ISP which is oddly reflected in a Speedtest.net test no matter what time of day i run it... perhaps the Adguard Traffic filtering method is holding back simultaneous downloads as Speedtest.net only uses a single connection and is consistent?
    [​IMG]

    I haven't looked into this other than running Malwarebytes and an Antivirus scan, both of which returned nothing, but the consistency of both my 'issues' has got me wondering if Adguard might be the cause?

    If either of these are known issues, or if anyone has/is seeing similar i'd appreciate if they could let me know.

    Best regards.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  2. avatar

    avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    12,891
    Let's check that this issue is related to Adguard.
    Could you please add google.co.uk to SSL exclusions in Adguard's network settings and check if you can reproduce this issue?
     
  3. Pentlands

    Pentlands Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    Typical isn't it, you try to reproduce something on demand and it doesn't happen, even though after turning on the PC this morning i had the same issue when i opened IE11 for the first time, which btw was about half an hour after i'd already been using the PC.
    I tried to reproduce it about 6 times with and without the exception added and it worked flawlessly.

    I'll leave the exception in place for the time being and see if it resurfaces over the next few days, i'll let you know what happens.

    I said in my original post that i wasn't implying the problems i'm having are related to Adguard, to be honest i don't think they are, i just wanted to throw them out here to see if anyone else had seen anything similar as this is a Beta release and strange things 'can' happen when using Beta software.

    Personally i think my issues may be a memory issue, more specifically, how Windows 7 is handling memory.
    e.g. The Windows pagefile may be corrupt, or have a bad sector on the drive where the pagefile resides.
    It's been a very long time since i last suffered from a corrupt pagefile (what was then called a swap file) but i did see similar anomalies if memory serves me right.

    Regards.
     
  4. Pentlands

    Pentlands Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    Just a quick follow up, after moving my pagefile from my second hard drive back to the C Drive where my OS is installed things are looking much better. I'll leave it on this setup for another day or so and then remove google.co.uk from SSL exclusions. If everything remains as it is now then my issues have clearly had nothing to do with Adguard and everything to do with a specific issue on my PC.

    Regards.
     
  5. avatar

    avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    12,891
    Great, thank you for the details on this. It is still rather strange, web browser rendering does not depend on the pagefile location. It could influence the rendering speed though.
     
  6. Pentlands

    Pentlands Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    I've likely found the root cause(s) of everything, i turned on my pc this morning and there was a horrible screeching noise coming from a fan somewhere, didn't take long to work out it was the cooling fan in the Power Supply Unit... fortunately i have a spare one of them so opened the tower to swap them out, while removing the cabling for the PSU i noticed the CPU heatsink clip wasn't secured to the bracket, the lug where it clips onto had sheered off. Given that i only replaced that bracket with a replacement a few months ago it never crossed my mind it might be the same issue... even if back them i did see similar loss of stability/performance.

    I'm now almost certain the pagefile was a misnomer, as was looking at Adguard as a potential cause.

    It is almost without doubt now my issue(s) have been either/and/or a PSU/CPU/Overheating issue.

    Apologies for suspecting Adguard as a possible cause.
     
  7. Pentlands

    Pentlands Beta Tester

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2014
    Messages:
    35
    A quick follow up to say that with the PSU and CPU heatsink bracket replaced my issues have been fully resolved.

    Regards.