IMDb app for Android

thangcuoi

Ads has been appearing in my IMDB Android app for the past 2 weeks.

I'm running Adguard for Android v3.6.2 with Adguard DNS, High Quality Filtering, Block ads in all apps, all 4 default adblock lists on. I tested with my User Rules off.

Essential Phone, StatixOS 4.2 June update, latest Magisk.

Edit 1: It turn out I was running a Beta version of the IMDb app. I left the Beta program and uninstalled the app. The button to reinstall the app is no longer available. Waiting for it to come back and I'll update this post if the ads also return.

Edit 2: Ads are still showing up on the stable version Version 8.4.4.108440502, at the top of the screen and above What to Watch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Those ads not reproduced (not even without AdGuard). Are you logged in?

Ad "Find showtimes for theaters near you" at the very top is not fixable (only ad shown to me).

You can try this rule, but it will break Facebook login:

Code:
||graph.facebook.com^$app=com.imdb.mobile

thangcuoi

Those ads not reproduced (not even without AdGuard). Are you logged in?

Ad "Find showtimes for theaters near you" at the very top is not fixable (only ad shown to me).

You can try this rule, but it will break Facebook login:

Code:
||graph.facebook.com^$app=com.imdb.mobile
I tried the code while login/out. Ads still visible.

I'm in Australia.

It's possible that I have been randomly targeted, similar to how some people get targeted by Google with different play store design.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Reproduced with Australian VPN, but not fixable :(
The app does not trust custom HTTPS certificate and ads seems to be loaded with their call to api.imdbws.com.

StefanvanRuiten

I suddenly have the same with the IMDb app in the Netherlands. Until recently everything was fine, suddenly I have ads all over the IMDb app on Android 11.