Import HOSTS file lists to AdGuard

Umbra

Beta Tester
thanks,

i used to do it with Emsisoft AM.

maybe you should consider an option in Adguard to import list of websites in a easy way. (like Emsisoft do)

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

1. Download the file http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt
2. Open it in Notepad++
3. Use "Find & Replace" with regular expression enabled

Apply the following replaces:
a)
Find What: ^#.*\n
Replace With: empty string

b)
Find What: ^0.0.0.0 (.*)$
Replace With: ||\1^

c) Remove empty lines

i cant manage to do step "a" , those characters are not present. maybe you can attach me the modified host.txt ^^

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Hosts file contain a few lines which break websites.

Tenchi

I found this thread because i cant import any host file too..

I thougt it was possible, so for me its a necessary feature request!

Thinking about a refund..

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
IMO, using HOSTS files create more problems than their worth - they can and do break websites, in addition they can slow down your connection. As such I personally don't recommend using them.

But seeing as there's an open feature request for the 6.3 milestone (could be months before it's implemented and released in a beta release - the 6.2 milestone is first and that alone could be several months away until a beta release!), I guess it can be useful for those users who actually want it regardless of the risks.

Like Andrey said above, you can convert the MVPS HOSTS file to a format that can be ported into Adguard's user filter.

I'm also going to rename and move this topic to the feature requests section.

Tenchi

Thanks for the info,

btw: never got any problems with the host files and i used a lot in ublock origin (since years).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
@avatar, your first expression posted above for the conversion (^#.*\n) doesn't find anything anymore in Notepad++ so it likely needs updating.

If I can get it converted, I can upload and host the converted MSVP list to Dropbox or something so it can be added as an additional filter in Adguard for Windows (without needing to import to the user filter), which I can update from time to time. This seems like the proper solution to this issue in the meantime.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
With that hosts file you get adblock detection (reported to them, but only got a stupid answer back) on some sites, legit pictures sometimes not loading.