Improve favicons filtering

Discussion in 'Custom Filters' started by pegas, Jul 4, 2014.

1. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Hi as avatar suggested on the Wilders forum I would like to have improved the favicons cleaning. I have the following user filter entries to remove favicons:

but unfortunately I have been stumbling upon sites where favicons are not filtered. For instance Google Search, Google Drive, Feedly etc. Therefore is there any other custom filter which I can add to filter them? If not how do I create a custom filter for particular sites where the favicons are not filtered using the above said entries? I want to have only blank favicons.

Thanks!

2. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Hi Pegas could below explain why your code is not working?

Google Drive: infinite_arrow_favicon_4.ico
    Google Search: google_favicon_128.png
    Feedly: feedly-512.png < not sure if thats correct you would have to test it

I cold not test, the icons remained on my side with favicon.ico on all sites and im too lazy to try and sort it out =)

Edit:
    Was just thinking to myself, why not just use "*.ico|" ? This would/should block 90% of the bookmark icons the rest you would have to manually add as they will no doubt be png or another extension and yu dount want to block all of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  3. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Thanks for the hint :) Added this rule and will see how it goes.

4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi all! *.ico| is a dangerous rule, be ready for false-positives:)

5. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

False positives? What problems this rule can bring? I thought it relates just to favicon icons.

6. avatar

But .ico are not always favicons. Sometimes .ico files used for small images on the websites.
    Try using it but if you notice any small image disappearance the problem may be in this rule.

7. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

OK, thanks for the clarification. Will keep it in mind.

8. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

As a follow up to this thread I just want to let you know that I didn't encounter yet any troubles with *.ico|

Btw, does this rule override the following rules which I have previously added to my custom filter?
    /favicon.ico
    /favicon*.ico|
    I mean whether they are redundant now.

Nevertheless there are still some sites where favicons appear ...

EDIT: Added *favicon* further improves results.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  9. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Hi Pegas, yes i can not see many issues with blocking ico files myself as i dont know any site that really uses them for anything other than a bookmark icon but im sure there are some.

As for your question you should really only need *.ico as that should mean all ico files are blocked.
    As for some icons not being blocked then you would have to check if they are ico files at all like in the examples i put above with google and feedly being png files in that case you would need to add in the name to be blocked like mybookmarkicon.png|

10. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Thanks a lot for your replies.

After a few days of testing, I have to say that *.ico| and *favicon* rule removes almost all favicons except those being not *.ico, e.g. *.png.

Btw, I'm not sure whether *favicon* should have also this mark "|" Can you kindly advice?

Thanks!

11. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Be honest here im not sure, if it was favicon.ico| id say keep it, if its favicon| then it may cause issues but im not sure you will have to wait for avatar to say i read things and one minute it makes sense to me the next im confused.

http://adguard.com/en/filterrules.html#startEndMatch

12. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Thanks! It seems it's clear now. "|" means the end position of a string. So I deleted all favicon rules I had and created only two - *favicon* and *.ico* If I'm right, these rules should block all files having in name favicon and *.ico regardless of their position in a string. So far so good.

Anyway comments of avatar would be appreciated.

13. avatar

Hi all!

What can I say, it's great that these rules help you:)
    These two rules are enough but if you see non-blocked favicon again - post the website here.

14. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Thanks and if anything slips through I will post it. :)

Maybe you could add another ad filter called "Favicon removal" containing the said two rules as starters. Other rules would be successively added to the filter as per reports of users for the missed favicons. Just an idea.

15. avatar

At the moment you're the only one I know who use this:)
    We can add such subscription but after we'll add "Custom subscription install" feature.

16. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Really? I'm alone who dislikes favicons?! Never mind :)

Definitely. Custom filters are of high priority.

17. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Glad the link helped and yes, i believe you are the only one so far.

18. pegas

pegas Beta Tester

Just to explain this my anomaly :D ... I don't like favicons because usually they are fully coloured, eyes snapping etc. and it distracts me.

19. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Yeh i nkow i saw your reply on wilders =)

20. Nick

Nick Member

You can add me to the list of (two) users who find favicons irritating!

Can't stand the bastards.

What filter should I use to block them please? Not just blocking them in the browser but blocking their addresses from being saved with new bookmarks would be handy. It's a pain to manually edit new bookmarks to put a default icon in.