IOS Spotify and YouTube ad blocking.

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for iOS)' started by Mikeypr, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Mikeypr

Mikeypr New Member

Up until now, I have been using another adblocker to block all ads in Spotify and YouTube adds on the IOS apps, but the developer has now dropped support. Presumably bowing to Apples demands.

I also have Adguard on my PC and IOS and Android devices, and wondered if there was a way to use Adguard to to the same. On IOS it worker buy allowing a profile extension, which in itself was a security issue.

Love Adguard, the DNS logger has allowed me to find the urls to block on various apps, but not spotty or YouTube.

Any help appreciated

Thank you

2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Staff Member Moderator

YouTube ads are double-encrypted in apps, so not possible. Unsure about spotify app though as I never used it.
    @Adam is the spotify app also double-encrypted?

3. Mikeypr

Mikeypr New Member

I’ve had no problem upuntil now with YouTube adds on IOS using an adblocker which uses an extension, certificate. Annoyingly they have now dropped support for the app, and have released a subscription based app. Expensive too. I’ve already paid.

So it is possible, but just finding a new way

I know there is an extension for Firefox which blocks YouTube adds, just wondered how that works, and if the urls can be move over

Also the host file option to block Spotify adds on the Windows app, works, but again, will it work on Adguard?

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

It won't be possible for long, since with the next AG Pro for iOS update the AG devs have to remove the local VPN (system-wide ad blocking) feature due to Apple's policy. More-or-less only web browsers will be able to be filtered using Safari's (restrictive/limited) content blocking feature.

5. Mikeypr

Mikeypr New Member

That’s a sad day, I suppose the DNS method of blocking will still work.

Little annoying, as the developers of Adblock on iOS, (the one which blocked it all) have brought out a new vpn based blocker, and it apparently has the same functionality and more. But there is a heafty supscription.

Be great for you to release an image that I can flash to sd card to make it easy to setup Adguard home on my raspberry pi.

Using pihole at moment, but trust you guys way more.

6. Mikeypr

Mikeypr New Member

Guess, not updating is a temporary option, until Apple throws the switch.

7. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Not for YouTube. They're already starting to serve ads from the same domains they serve video content with which renders DNS ad blocking useless. It's only a matter of time before other companies, including Spotify (if they're not doing it already), start doing this as well.

8. SAlminho

SAlminho New Member

has the same functionality and more. But there is a heafty supscription.

Adam4adam TutuApp AppValley

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. BACILIYATSIA

BACILIYATSIA New Member

I’ve had no problem upuntil now with YouTube adds on IOS using an adblocker which uses an extension, certificate. Annoyingly they have now dropped support for the app, and have released a subscription based app. Expensive too. I’ve already paid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019