Its RAM usage is too high

Discussion in 'Technical Support (Adguard for Windows)' started by Zero3K, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Zero3K

Zero3K New Member

Is it possible to lower it to where it takes up a total of 50-60 MB instead of 200+ MB? If so, it should be done.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

My guess is that's the nature of the beast since web browsers these days tend to use higher amounts of resources as time passes.

3. Zero3K

Zero3K New Member

Huh? I was referring to AdGuard, not a web browser.

4. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

So was I, a comparison/parallel of sorts.

This topic has been brought up before in the past, and there has been fixes for high RAM usage in the past. I'm just saying that possibly due to the nature of how Adguard's developed, the programming language it's developed in and how web browsers are trending to use more resources as time passes, it *may* be as good as it gets. For example .NET applications (coded in C#/VB.NET/etc.) are well known to use more resources too. Also if you visit a lot of 'heavy' websites that contains a bunch of Flash videos for example, Adguard is going to need access to more resources so it can properly process all that data, such as elements, applets, etc. We'll have to see what avatar has to say about this and whether or not there's still any room for memory optimization in this regard (or some sort of garbage collection to regain more RAM after processing heavy amounts of data).

My personal opinion on this is; higher capacity RAM's getting cheaper these days. Most computers come with at least 4GB of RAM now thus making resource usage numbers less relevant like it would of been 5+ years ago during the XP days.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
  5. chromatinfish123

chromatinfish123 Beta Tester

I have around 100 MB RAM, pretty bad, but bearable. I checked this morning, and it only had 30 MB RAM! Wonder if it changes...:confused:

6. Zero3K

Zero3K New Member

The latest beta of v6.0 is still using too much RAM.

7. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Latest beta has some memory leaks indeed, we are working on it.