iTunes store trouble not over!

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Mac)' started by Frank M., Jul 11, 2019 at 8:57 PM.

1. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

I am running AdGuard 2.0.6.599, MacOS Mojave 10.14.5, iTunes 12.9.5.5 - all is updated and works well except for the iTunes store, which shows AGAIN but a completely blank UI when engaged. I take it that this is a long known issue (first occurrence I am aware of dates back to 2016!) for some users of Mac/iTunes in combination with AG and it appears that it still needs resolving.
    When the previous version of AG caused trouble with the iTunes store, I tried whatever relevant I could find on forums and online in general, all to no avail. Finally, Apple's tech support asked me to uninstall AG, after which the iTunes store was again functioning normally. I then reinstalled AG's latest version for Mac, and for a few days the iTunes store worked fine...until today. Now I am back to a dysfunctional iTunes store that shows but a blank white UI. I am at a loss as to what to do with this annoying problem and renewed my support request for AG. Does anyone has any additional helpful thoughts on this?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 10:04 PM
  2. Chinaski

Chinaski Support Marine Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@Frank M.
    Hello!
    Yes, unfortunately, there is such a problem. Developers know about it and they will try to fix it in the next updates.
    Follow the news. :)

3. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

Hey Chinaski,
    yes, yes, you said so already, and it's sad, especially when considering that the problem is around for years. In the meantime, what do I do? Get rid of AG for which I paid a lifetime licence and which, regardless of the issue in question, is still my preferred ad-blocker?
    By the way, I sent AG the filtering logs showing what's going on when I try to open the iTunes store...sigh...
    :-(

4. clayesq

clayesq New Member

I submitted a support request, and was told to add "@@||apple.com^$important,document,~extension" to the User Filter, and also whitelist "apple.com." Worked for me. See f that helps!

5. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

Hi clayesq,
    it appears as if the user filter and the white list refer to the same for whatever I enter in the white list also automatically appears in the user filter listing. Do you enter apple.com with or without the ".com"? Also, is this supposed to work upon having entered it or do I need to restart/reset anything? So far, I've just entered it and it doesn't have any effect.

6. clayesq

clayesq New Member

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.51.43 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.52.06 AM.jpg
    That is all that I did… without the “”… and I had closed iTunes and Books before entering these…

7. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

Yeah, well, did the same and looks the same here but it didn't change anything...the iTunes store UI remains blank.
    Anyway, thanks for your helping hand...

8. gilby

gilby New Member

Can only get iTunes Store to work by disabling HTTPS filter and resetting the iTunes cache. See the link in Chinaski's post.

Just adding to whitelist and user filers (as described by clayesq) did not work for me.

9. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

Thanks for your input, gilby! In the meantime, I did this:

I repeated some of the steps I previously went through with Apple tech support to tackle the issue:

- restarted computer in safe-boot
    - deselected Mail, Safari, and iTunes from log-in startup
    - deleted Caches and Cookies folders from library (Finder, Go + option)
    - checked iTunes store = blank
    - again deleted Caches from library (Finder, Go + option; the Cookies folder was not present at this time)
    - closed and reopened the iTunes
    - checked iTunes store = now functional
    - restarted normally
    - checked iTunes store = now functional

Note that I did not uninstall AG as Apple had me do at the time (after which the iTunes store functioned again), and yet it's working (at least for now). This is to be observed, but it raises the question of whether or not the fault lies indeed with AG (at least in my case). Anyway, I am not tech-savvy enough to be the judge of that. Let's see where this will lead...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM
  10. gilby

gilby New Member

FrankM, That is a most complicated sequence! But at least it is functional. And I now have it working on my wife's computer (that is the important one!).
    I don't think that it is a matter of blaming but rather hoping that AG can get to understand (and then fix) this new interaction which causing problems for some AG users.

11. Frank M.

Frank M. New Member

That's right, gilby. Thank you!