Just Moved from Competitor (AdGuard vs Ad Muncher)

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by uBlast, Dec 3, 2013.

1. uBlast

uBlast New Member

Hello all!

I just bought a premium license of Adguard on a move from Ad Muncher. I just would like to tell anyone interested that I was using Admuncher for last 3 years and during this time, I havenĀ“t seen any updates or bug fixing on that app. The last drop of water was the Windows 8.1 that brought IE11. Ad Muncher is not compatible with IE11, including Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 versions. I asked for help, and the best I got was a moron like advice that I should downgrade IE version or simple using another browser. Those guys really think their customers are stupid or something.

Plus, after uninstalling Admuncher for good and discover Adguard (after 14 day trial), I replied a feedback about why I was uninstalling Ad Muncher. The answers were the same I told already...outdated gui, unfixed bugs, no IE11 support and so on. Also, I said I was moving to Adguard after a sucessful trial and complains.

I received a reply from Jeff Cole, one of the guys behind AM, saying Adguard is a poor substitute to their product AM and claiming that new version of AM will be avaliable in proper time. I personally think that reply is garbage and Im pretty certain that my decision for Adguard was the best.

So for those who are in doubt between AM and Adguard or still using AM, my advice is: Get Adguard and forget Admuncher. So much less headache.

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Welcome!

Believe me, I feel your pain. I used Ad Muncher a great deal over the last decade and for periods I had to stop using it due to various issues I had with the program, which I'll go into detail about later in this post. What made me stop using Ad Muncher completely was Adblock Plus for Firefox when it became popular. At the time, I didn't need anything else. Then, I started using Chrome along with Firefox, then Chrome along with Firefox and Internet Explorer and I started looking into adblocking solutions for each browser. When I found Adguard a year and a half ago, I was pleasantly pleased with how well it handled browsers. Sure, for the first year I didn't have HTTPS blocking capabilities, so I was still dependent on browser extensions and userscripts to take care of those. So, as for the issues I experienced with Ad Muncher...

- I hated that by default it filtered all connections system-wide, instead of prompting the user to blacklist certain applications. It was a pain in the rear to setup the whitelist for all my processes because I had to start every process for it to show up in Ad Muncher's list. Very time consuming. In contrast Adguard by default only filters browsers (along with any other executables you specify). I do hope, at some point, the development team expands the filtering capabilities to include other programs, like instant messaging programs (e.g. Skype), p2p programs and ads, etc.

- Figuring out how to block ads manually with Ad Muncher's rules was a pain. Before I learned a thing or two about CSS and HTML, I had a total nightmare trying to block seemingly simple ads. Back in the days I asked on the forums about that, and never really got a reply. Adguard uses the Adblock Plus system of rules, which is much more simple to deal with and allows easy importing of rules from Adblock Plus to Adguard.

- They've been promising a major update for years now, with HTTPS filtering among other things. It seems to me the main developer is busy developing other programs (or so I've heard). My guess is the development team seems to be very small. Compare that to Adguard, which has made major strides in the last 6 months - first HTTPS filtering and the WFP driver (allows filtering of Windows 8 Metro/Modern UI apps and Internet Explorer in Enhanced Protected Mode). The next version of Adguard which is going to go into beta testing soon will have userscripts support, a first for any other adblocking program out there. Also, the Adguard development team seems to be more than Ad Muncher, which allows for faster turnaround of releases. Avatar, how many developers are on the team?

- Ad Muncher's development team doesn't seem to in-tune with its users regarding support (e.g. the whole IE11 debacle), updates on development and possible release dates/frames. In fact reading their forums, it seems the administrator over there (Jeff, not Murray, who seems MIA) seems kinda rude to paying customers on their forums when they're asking simple questions about IE11 support and a new version. I do understand that he's probably overwhelmed, but still, could be more professional about it. What he said in the e-mail about Adguard kinda proves my point. There seems to be some jealousy due to their revenue stream being threatened, hence the need to bash competitors (aka business 101). I'm sure Adblock Plus is seen as threat to them too, and it's free! Ultimately, it's up to the end-user to decide what they want to use, and what they want to pay for. Ad Muncher doesn't offer any free adblocking extensions for browsers, but Adguard does (currently for Chrome and Opera) - and they're free.

Extension limitations is what made me stop using adblocking extensions for Google Chrome, but fortunately Adguard's way, way better. That's actually how I found Adguard - I was searching for alternatives to the Adblock/Adblock Plus extensions for Google Chrome after getting tired of dealing with the limitations (due to the browser itself). I actually considered going back to Ad Muncher, but I knew that wouldn't cut it for me either. I tried that other alternative program Adfender, and found it to be too buggy and lacking in what I needed it to do. Thankfully, I stumbled upon Adguard. Honestly in my opinion, Adguard is the best adblocking solution out there - way better than Ad Muncher, Adfender and extension-based ad-blockers. Why do I recommend Adguard?

- The Adguard developers actually listen to their users (major plus) and development seems to go by pretty fast. I can only imagine how hard the development team is working on Adguard.

- They take feature requests into consideration. I mean, I pitched userscripts support a year ago and they actually considered it and now they're adding it, which surprises me. In my mind adblocking and userscripts (script injection) goes hand-in-hand because there's things userscripts can do in regards to blocking ads that the straight ad-blocking rules can't. Ad redirects, for example, can be taken care of now thanks to the userscripts support. The development team probably knows how useful it will be, not to mention it'll open the door to more users too. Another example is HTTPS filtering, which was requested on the forums and they actually made it work. Adguard is the only adblocking program with HTTPS filtering, no others do *currently*.

-There's a chance (maybe in the future) of somehow getting ad-filtering on other platforms like Linux and Mac OS X, which would be awesome to see. Understandably, that probably won't happen, if it happens, for a long time (due to limitations/support needed for each additional platform). A VPN solution for mobile/tablet browsers would be perfect. But it's always a possibility it could happen.

- The support and assistant on these forums is top notch. Like if I find an issue within the program or a problematic website, I post it in the appropriate section of the forums and Avatar looks into it. Couldn't be better! Plus everyone is nice and helpful! I'm glad to contribute however I can, be it beta testing or finding obscure little bugs within the program itself (I seem to be good at finding those too, hehe).

I really do Ad Muncher does release a new version for their customers, I really do. There was a user on Neowin recently asking for Ad Muncher alternatives because of the same IE11 issue, and I pointed them in the right direction, of course. ;) Bottom line, I recommend Adguard to anyone these days. It's just awesome and the rate it's growing... honestly, I think the future looks pretty bright indeed. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  3. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Wow, thank you for all the good words!:)

At this moment our team has:

2 developers working on a windows version
    1 developer working on server-side (web site, adguard back-end server, safebrowsing server, etc)
    1 developer working on VPN solution and android client
    1 developer working on chrome extension (not full time though)

And also I am working on all these apps as a team lead.

I am doing some research on Mac OS right now.
    There's a good chance that we'll get Adguard for Mac 1.0 in march/april 2014.

4. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

welcome aboard! you have come at the right time, things are about to get interesting. as Boo Berry mentioned the team behind Adguard really listen to us for from the number of features we are seeing being implemented or planned you can see that they are up to any task put before them that will ensure Adguard becomes better. this kind of ambition and dedication to their product is why i consider the team behind Adguard a cut above the rest and as a result this attention shows in Adguard. hope to see you around the forums joining in to make Adguard even greater than it is now.

5. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

a mac version and an android version! you deserve all the success that comes at you for listening to and acting on user suggestions.

6. Boo Berry

The Android version will probably be the VPN solution with an app to control it, due to the limitations of Android itself. If iOS was ever supported, might work there too (assuming you can get an app in the App Store).

Now that's what I call a development team. :)

If there's any .NET code (e.g. C#), Mono might be an assistance there. Then again, using XCode/Cocoa might be best, not really sure. Nonetheless, I'll be ready when/if the Mac version comes! :D

7. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

thanks for clarifying . i wonder though, would this method work system wide or only for browsers ? and how does this system work exactly ?

8. uBlast

uBlast New Member

Thanks Boo Berry for the kind words. And thanks for understanding my point of view since your thoughts are exactly the very same I have about AM. That bullshit Jeffrey Cole sent to me saying I was make a mistake going for AG instead of waiting the AM versions 5 gave me a reason to check back the AM forums. There are posts from Jeff there dated at february and january 2013 and even earlier, on 2012 still, saying this same bla..bla..bla about AM versions 5. Ad Muncher is in fact an abandoned project and keep lying to their customers is not helping. Actually, years of lies, not just a single one. Plus, in terms of price, AM is more expensive than Adguard and in terms of features, Ad Muncher stopped in time while Adguard seems pretty syncronized with current tendencies and protocols.

Jeffrey Cole and Murray Hurps should shame theirselves and shut down Ad Muncher. Or start a promotion: "Buy Ad Muncher and get a red nose: better than feel like a clown, is to be a clown". Glad to be here guys and glad to be a proud Adguard costumer.

Once again, thanks to all and sorry for outflowing the words. Just had to after my disapointment with AM.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. avatar

That is right. We'll make an IOS application too.

At this moment VPN prototype is ready. I already use it on my iphone.
    Now we need apps to control it.

We have decided to port filtration code to Objective C. Mono has a good PR, but in fact there are lots of pitfalls.

10. Boo Berry

Ah, Cocotron or GNUstep might be helpful on OS X and Linux (Android/iOS?) too! :D

11. superssjdan

superssjdan New Member

I too have moved on to Adguard after being an admuncher subscriber for many years. Any company that does not listen and respond to it's customers is doomed to fail. I am happy to be here and love the product so far. All I had to do was contact Webroot support to white list your files as they were unknown to their cloud and they had your site flagged as well. All is well now. I trialed the product for less than a day before buying it. I believe in adguard and will continue to support the product in any way I can.

Regards

12. Boo Berry

Welcome! :D

13. superssjdan

superssjdan New Member

Thank you. It's a pleasure to be here. I look forward to continued development and success:)

14. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

good to have you here, welcome.

15. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

i admit admuncher got flaws from their non updates side, but they has pros too, admuncher's customer service (jeff) is very fast on updating adblocking definition. when i am using admuncher it's about 5-10 minutes of response time if i am using admuncher toolbar..

i would really like adguard to follow suit. this would really make adguard invisible.

16. avatar

Wow, 5-10 minutes is really great!
    We are trying to make our customer support better but this speed is incredible.

17. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

what i mean is response time ( when we report, we will get response from email as to when it will be blocked with which definition number ex : will be blocked by update 4805), the blocking period is about a day or so. as i think it is going to queue.. but still faster than adguard.

customer service is better if there's an interaction between customer and the company :)

18. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Beta Tester

Hello Forum Members. I just downloaded Adguard and I'm using the 2 week free trial. I too used the paid version of Ad Muncher for the last month but got tired of manually updating the software daily. I hoping Adguard is far better. :)

19. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

welcome to the forum. feel free to add suggestions here in the forum that you feel will further help in development, you'll find that the developers are very attentive and helpful in their response. have fun with Adguard and hope to see you around.

20. superssjdan

superssjdan New Member

Hello again PTD,and welcome to the forum.Hope you find that you enjoy adguard as much as I have.As I know you use WSA,you will want to double check and make sure you check in WSA's settings that any of adguard's processes aren't monitored for best performance.At last check after a WSA install,there should be only 1 process you need to click to allow from monitor.I have found that adguard,by far,is the best adblocker I have ever used.I still have paid licenses for admuncher,but I don't plan on going back,even if they miraculously get it to work with ie11 and https.By the time that happens,there will be ie12 and windows 9;)