Just Moved from Competitor (AdGuard vs Ad Muncher)

Hi..
Will tablet have to be rooted for adguard to work on android or some sort of browser plugin like abp on firefox which doesnt require root??.Im currently using adaway which requires root.Also I purchased lifetime licence for my desktop pc (after using admuncher for many years)
Will that licence cover my tablet or is a seperate licence required?
tia

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
No, it won't require root.

Development of Android version is well under way. We’ve already made a first working prototype, but there are still some critical bugs we should fix before releasing the beta-version.

Adguard for Android will work as local VPN service. Local means that your traffic will be filtered on your device and won’t be sent to some remote VPN server. Also Adguard for Android will work on non-rooted devices.

Restrictions:
1. Adguard may not work on some devices with Android 4.4.x (due to bugs in Android VPN).
2. Adguard won’t filter HTTPS-traffic.
As you can see, doesn't require a rooted device but there are some limitations. The first limitation might not actually apply, since avatar has since mentioned it seems to be working on 4.4.x afterall. As for the second, I'm not sure if HTTPS filtering will be or can be supported. Avatar, is it possible?

As for the licensing question, I'm not honestly sure.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I saw that, but for me it's too little, too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProTruckDriver

Beta Tester
I wish Murray and Jeff the best, but I think Ad Munchers reputation has been hit bad for trust. Read their forum and see the rude replies by Jeff to his customers also the deleting of posts Jeff has done. When Murray the developer went missing from the forum for over 6 months. To me that shows he did not care. Empty promises, deleted posts, rudeness. Is that trust? Do you think maybe there $$$ took a hit with all the bad reviews? I think I found a home at Adguard where they admit their mistakes when made and the software and customer service is outstanding.

Accel

Beta Tester
this is why i said adguard will be trumping admuncher..

i never looked back. just some admuncher emails still going to my private mail because i have lisence with them but that's it. i don't even care whatever about admuncher. they are late. and rude to customers that is one big mistake how good is the product

Nameless

Beta Tester
Who cares about admuncher they have done nothing but break promises and lie to their customers for years, ask them a question regarding an update your fobbed off and told to be patient and as people have said jeff is just rude and arrogant and deletes posts he does not like "we will never allow ads though but we will censor our own forums if we do not like what you say or belive we said something wrong and want to take it back!".

Anyway they have posted a new entry on the blog and your paid license is worth nothing thnks to the product going free.

http://www.murrayhurps.com/blog/ad-muncher-announcement

steve1209

Beta Tester
Please stop posting about AdMuncher, we are ALL using Adguard and could care less about the badly supported product!!!

ProTruckDriver

Beta Tester
Please stop posting about AdMuncher, we are ALL using Adguard and could care less about the badly supported product!!!
Then they need to change the title of this thread because is states: "Just Moved from Competitor (Adguard vs Ad Muncher)"
or they need to close the thread. ;)

WebRat

Beta Tester
Anyway they have posted a new entry on the blog and your paid license is worth nothing thnks to the product going free.
Wow, they must be trying to save face, it could sucker in a lot of people. I hope this does not effect AdGuard sales.

If or when ever V5 comes out, they will start charging again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I've seen this happen in the past from developers. They announce their paid program is going free, which ultimately leads to development of the program to be discontinued (as a way for everyone to have access to it before it's discontinued). Not really sure what he's doing, but it could make or eventually break Ad Muncher.

ProTruckDriver

Beta Tester
Not really sure what he's doing, but it could make or eventually break Ad Muncher.
It looks to me like he wants to slow the sales of Adguard. With all the bad reviews AM has been having that's why it free now. When version 5 comes out (I'll believe it when I see it) then he'll put a price on it.

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Yeah, thinking about this more this move really doesn't make sense. In his post he mentioned this...

This will be financially difficult for me. Salaries for three people, along with our usual expenses, will be covered entirely by myself by selling almost everything I have, and taking on some external work.
This is not a good idea or a wise move at all - this is probably what will break Ad Muncher. Then I saw this...

At some point in the future, I may need to offer complimentary software products to Ad Muncher users (for example, a recommended spyware blocker or antivirus). These will be done respectfully, and will only be products that compliment Ad Muncher and which I genuinely use myself.
Oh dear... not good at all if it goes this route.

Nameless

Beta Tester
Again who cares?

All i see is a bad dev that does not care about his product, its taken two years for him to post on his own forum and then he's turned around and said the application is now free, this was he does not have to provide updates as he can say its a free application and im not getting money to update it so only do it in my spare time. All i see when i see murray is a slimy business man, as for his comments about it being financially difficult for him during this process i dont believe it when he has his other business ventures supporting him.

Anyway lets all look forward to his next blog post about toast :rolleyes: