Little Snitch and AdGuard

tate59

Beta Tester
Hello. After installing adguard Little Snitch is asking to allow all of this content which some of it should be blocked with adguard I would assume? Little Snitch has a whole list of rules now just from visiting a few different sites. Some I allowed and it's ads. Some I didn't allow cause I had no clue what it was and part of the site was unusable.

What am I doing wrong? Is this normal?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi! I a not sure I understood your question right. What I can say is that you you need to give Adguard all permissions it asks for, then all filtered apps traffic will be routed through Adguard, and no filtering problems should remain.

tate59

Beta Tester
Thanks for the reply. Almost every site I visit LS asks if I want to allow certain content, some of which I can tell are ads. I don't understand why LS is asking to allow this content when Adguard is supposed to be blocking the content in the first place. But I really don't understand how all of it works anyway.

I just went ahead with the browser extension instead of the app. It seems to working fine.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do I understand correct that LS would ask to grant Adguard some permission every time you visit a new website? Can you provide a screenshot of such a message screen?

gilby

Adguard and Little Snitch both use a kext to intercept network traffic. It is not clear to me which is first to inspect and potentially block connections. It seems that both Adguard and the browser (or other app) need to have LS rules which allow all traffic to port 80 and 443 (and any other port used by the app). Essentially you rely on Adguard to do all the blocking of browser type connections and use LS to blocks other things.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are right about using a kext. Also as I remember, it could depend on the kernel extensions loading order, so, basically it is AG and LS startup order.

Anyway, we'd better wait for @stillness to return from vacations to get an answer from him.

stillness

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@tate59 @gilby
Indeed, what app will be first to intercept the connection from the browser depends on the order of kext loading. OS X does not provide tools to specify the desired order. Thus, if LS will intercept the connection first, it will ask you about the connection. However, after that, the connection will be intercepted by Adguard in any case (as far as I know, LS does not change connection destination address). This connection will be filtered by Adguard.
Because of this, you can safely allow all browser connections in LS...

pdstudio_s

Beta Tester
Hello. After installing adguard Little Snitch is asking to allow all of this content which some of it should be blocked with adguard I would assume? Little Snitch has a whole list of rules now just from visiting a few different sites. Some I allowed and it's ads. Some I didn't allow cause I had no clue what it was and part of the site was unusable.

What am I doing wrong? Is this normal?
I was having the same issue but I found out it's all supposed to connect through Adguard, even behind a proxy, if you are using that.

Last edited: