Local proxy mode not working

excy

I prefer to use adguard for android in local proxy mode as I have other VPN services I want to connect to, and I have been doing so for several years. Not rooted, so yes I have to add proxy settings each time I connect to a new wifi.

It seems with the current version with local proxy mode is not working though, and I've tested with v3.4 nightly 7 (23) too and that does not work.

To test I've turned off mobile data, double and triple checked my proxy settings on the wifi, only 1 wifi network and this is a fresh reinstall of Android. Local proxy mode enabled in adguard and while testing I can see the counters for "ads blocked" do not increase and the pages show adverts. I do see entries in the filtering log, but that seems to have no effect on the view in Chrome.

I'm using an Xperia 5, with Android 10 security patch Jan 1 2020. It was showing the same behaviour with earlier versions of Android 10 too.

When I flip to VPN mode and turn off the proxy settings in my wifi settings pages start to look blocked again and the counters in adguard increase as usual.

And ideas?

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
@excy
Hello there!

Then let’s do the following:
- AdGuard > Settings > Advanced > Logging Level > Record All.
- Reproduce your issue.
- Note the time the error occurred and let us know.
- Don’t forget to return to the default logging level.
- Logs can be sent to me at PM or on k.gretskyi@adguard.com

excy

@Chinaski - so after reproducing it and recording the logs I noticed that I was testing on a google amp page. Somehow those search results are getting through when I'm sure they they did not used to previously on my old phone and android 9. This may be why I keep thinking that the proxy mode is not working as well as it used to. I'm seeing empty boxes I have to close etc...

It does look to be that filtering on amp pages is not as complete as the non-amp versions and you are left with a lot of boxes/areas where ad's used to be on amp but not on the standard pages, but that seems to be the case for proxy and vpn mode.

I do feel that proxy mode does not seem to work as well in places but the cause may be something else as I'm not so sure any more :) I'm going to have to spend a little more time looking at this and if I get any real cases where I think the filtering is not working as it should I'll follow the above steps and let you know.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
So some of the ads do get filtered out?

In fact, when you use AdGuard in proxy mode and paired with a third-party VPN service, we can't guarantee that absolutely all ads will be filtered out. There are a number of restrictions that make it impossible for us to remove all of the available ads.

In order to achieve the best results, it is desirable to have root rights. Then you can use AdGuard in automatic proxy mode, which will greatly improve the quality of filtering.