Logging + Assistant enhancements

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Adguard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Okay, got a few more suggestions for ya! Sometimes, I've noticed when trying to diagnose filtering issues that I end up disabling filtering and enabling the browser's developer console to find the specific elements. Why? Because the log doesn't seem to list all blocked elements on a specific page (or at least, not that I've found - even when set to detailed). So I've got two requests (that I might of made in the past, but I've refined them).

Enhance the log to show all filtering on the specific domain, including in a easy-to-read list form all blocked elements on that page in both base and detailed logs.

Give the Assistant the option to list all currently blocked rules (including elements) for the current domain with the option to toggle those elements/filter rules (but they still are listed as disabled filter rules for that domain on refresh so you don't have to go into Adguard's options and manually re-enable the disabled filters) and the option to whitelist the filter rule(s)/element(s) for the current domain (goes with another suggestion I made).

The point of these enhancements would be to a) make creating filter rules easier, b) help diagnose issues when filtering isn't working correctly and c) when you want to specifically whitelist a filter rule/element for the specific domain.

Thoughts?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This could be a great feature but it is difficult to implement.

We were thinking about it since Adguard 4 release:).

I will try to think out a solution tomorrow.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Thank you very much. :)

4. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

on the subject of logging enhancements; as it is now, if i'm browsing yahoo, google and hotmail, for example,all their logs would be lumped together in the program log. my suggestion would be to have a tree with the main branches being the websites visited, if i have logs specific to yahoo they would appear under the yahoo branch, if i access youtube i would have all its relevant request data appearing under the youtube branch and so on for any requested site. this would make it easier to track down any issues using the log and look cleaner as well.

5. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

a better illustration of the above feature would be from the program: HTTP Analyzer

hv_pagegroup.gif

note how page requests from google, slashdot and ieinspector are grouped under their respective pages. logs would be very clear in their section if they were presented in this way.

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Good example, thank you!

Does HTTPAnalyzer use page title for grouping?
    Or page URL?

7. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

it uses page title for grouping

8. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

further suggestions for the log section if i may:

- currently if i expand a log to get detail on it, the list, along with the log i've just expanded, continues moving as new logs come in. it would be nice if once a log is expanded, it would be centered in the log window and pinned there. new logs will continue coming in but as long as a log has been expanded, the list will only grow from the opened log.

- it would be very useful if the various status were highlighted. so for example, "request processed" would be unhighlighted, "request blocked" would be highlighted in red, "an exception was activated" would be in green, "the page has been filtered" would be in orange. this would make it easy to spot what rules have been applied.