Malwarebytes web protection blocks the Adguard web assistant.

Sławek

I confirm the new version of MS Edge is working correctly. Why earlier versions of MS browsers do not work?

[edit] 18.03.2020 - AdGuard assistant no longer works properly.

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The old legacy Microsoft Edge is a completely different browser which has recently been replaced with the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. It doesn't make sense to make a Browser Assistant extension for the legacy Edge since a) as mentioned Microsoft has replaced it with the new Edge and b) as far as I know it's not possible to submit extensions for the legacy Edge anymore.

As for Internet Explorer, it's Microsoft's pre-legacy Edge web browser with many security issues and shouldn't be used anymore and it's considered depreciated now. It's a web browser that needs to be dead and buried (and avoided at all costs). :p

Sławek

Yesterday, AdGuard's assistant was working properly, today he's gone. I have the latest MS Edge installed.
It's the same configuration as yesterday and nothing was done with it. The program assistant appears and disappears... ?

Image3.jpg

Sławek

The program doesn't block. The assistant doesn't work. I bought the program to make it work, not to try to make it work. The program should block ads from the beginning. I did not buy the program to test it. It's nonsense. I hope someone fixes this program because it's abnormal!
I bought a program and it should work, not alpine combinations and miracles to block something!

This is abnormal. I hope the support will solve this problem.

Image1.jpg

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
The combination that you use (ESET+MB+AdGuard) is itself questionable.
There may be conflicts when using the WFP driver and for a huge number of other reasons.

Try to disable ESET and disable the WFP driver in AdGuard.
Reboot your PC and check if the filtering will work.

Sławek

Using ESET Smart Security + Malwarebytes Premium + AdGuard is not a questionable configuration (I have never had problems). Each program is different. I don't understand your allusion. AdGuard should work correctly, unfortunately it is not. AdGuard program should be comprehensive, and here I see that there are problems that no one can fix.

I bought an ad blocking program. None of these Malwarebytes and Eset programs are for that. The customer who buys the product counts on the high quality of the product and not on problems that are not on the side of the customer's software configuration.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
ESET, Malwarebytes, and AdGuard can use the same drivers to filter network traffic. As a result, conflicts may occur at the network level and one of the applications will not work properly.
Try enabling the FilterLocalhost function in Advanced settings.
Disable WFP driver in the Network section. Reboot your PC.

Sławek

When you start the AdGuard program

Image1.jpg

WFP controller off, Assistant has started. AdGuard is reporting an internal problem.

2.jpg

EvilPeppard

Good morning all,

Just adding some info to this post since I just ran across it this morning. There is a running thread over on MWB forums regarding the 'mwac.sys' causing BSOD: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255466-mwacsys-bsod

I am one who is experiencing the BSOD via mwac.sys. If I turn off MWB Web Protection module, the BSOD stops. Based on what I am seeing in this thread, specifically screenshots in post #17, I am wondering if there is a conflict between my AdGuard Premium (currently on 7.3) and my MWB Premium, and that is the reason behind the BSOD with MWB Web Protection enabled.

Anyway, again, just adding this info here in case it may help others while we work on a resolution.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@EvilPeppard
Hello there!

Could you send me a report at PM?
I will tell the developers and they will find out what causes BSOD.

EvilPeppard

@EvilPeppard
Hello there!

Could you send me a report at PM?
I will tell the developers and they will find out what causes BSOD.
Hi there. What kind of report are you looking for, please? Give me instructions and I will gladly assist.

At the moment I have uninstalled AdGuard Premium per request of MWB Support to test stability. So far it is working. Details of my latest update can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255466-mwacsys-bsod/?do=findComment&comment=1375405

Let me know how I can help further so we can make these two great products coexist.

Thank you!

EvilPeppard

Oh, you were wanting to see the memory dump files.

Here is the dump file from 4/9/2020 when I had the last BSOD. This BSOD was with both AdGuard Premium and MWB Premium's Web Protection module running. WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/t-qKOXdGlySr

BSOD's completely stop if I disable MWB Premium Web Protection, or, as in the case right now, fully uninstalling AdGuard Premium. With AdGuard Premium uninstalled I can run MWB Premium Web Protection with no issues, but not together with AdGuard Premium.

Let me know how else I can help. Thanks!

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Try to disable the WFP driver in AdGuard settings.
The issue with BSOD should not happen again.

EvilPeppard

Try to disable the WFP driver in AdGuard settings.
The issue with BSOD should not happen again.
Thank you. I believe this is what the folks at MWB were saying too, that the WFP's were conflicting between both ADGuard Premium and MWB Premium's Web Protection.

Will I lose out on any type of protection if I disable WFP on AdGuard and just use MWB's? If I have to choose one over the other, I want to make sure I use the one that gives me the best protection. If it doesn't matter which one I use, I will test by turning off WFP in AdGuard Premium as you suggested.

EvilPeppard

Ok, I have gone ahead and reinstalled AdGuard Premium on my computer, but have disabled the WFP driver since I have MWB Premium Web Protection Enabled. I will see how this runs.

Thank you.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The WFP driver is needed to filter the Modern Windows 10 (AKA Metro) apps including the legacy Microsoft Edge. Fortunately the new Microsoft Edge can be filtered by the TDI driver (which is the driver used when disabling the WFP driver in AG for Windows) so that's no longer an issue if you use Edge (the new Chromium-based one).

If you don't filter any of the Windows 10 apps you likely won't notice any difference.

EvilPeppard

The WFP driver is needed to filter the Modern Windows 10 (AKA Metro) apps including the legacy Microsoft Edge. Fortunately the new Microsoft Edge can be filtered by the TDI driver (which is the driver used when disabling the WFP driver in AG for Windows) so that's no longer an issue if you use Edge (the new Chromium-based one).

If you don't filter any of the Windows 10 apps you likely won't notice any difference.
Ok, thanks for the info. I do not use any Windows 10 apps, nor do I use Edge, except for rare occasions when I cannot use Chrome or Firefox.

I sincerely appreciate the information and feedback.