Manual banner blocker doesn't work!

Baloney

The extension comes with a function to manually block banners and whatnot. When you select it, it draws a green frame around a page element that you can select to block, but also frame's size (effectively, you can block the entire page, or a good chunk thereof).
Some time ago it stopped working. I tried re-installing the extension several times to no avail. Generally, it's not a big issue, the majority of banners are still blocked, but sometimes, some slip under the radar, particularly annoying ones at that.
Anyway, is it some glitch, or conflict with another extension, or maybe I accidentally turned this function off without even knowing?
Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention this. I open the context menu, the option to manually block ads is there, but when I select it, nothing happens. It's like this on all websites.

Last edited:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
What exactly do you mean with stopped working? Is this only with a special website or on all websites?

Baloney

What exactly do you mean with stopped working? Is this only with a special website or on all websites?
Oh right, I forgot to mention this. So, when I right-click to open the context menu, the option to manually block ads is in the list, but when I press the button, nothing happens.
It's like this on all websites.

TheHasagi

Quality Assurance / Support Commando
Staff member
Administrator
What browser do you use? Can you provide screenshots?

Baloney

What browser do you use? Can you provide screenshots?
Well, I am writing on the Mozilla sub-forum...
I can't provide screenshots because there's nothing to screenshot - the button doesn't do what it's supposed to, so it'd make no difference if I posted a before and after screenshot.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
To be more specific, are you using the latest Firefox 63 or the Firefox ESR build? Or perhaps a fork like Pale Moon?

EDIT: I just tested this with the AdGuard Adblocker 2.10.13 (standalone) extension for Firefox in Firefox 63 and it's working.

But I had a thought... what other extensions are you using? Perhaps another extension is conflicting with the AG extension for Firefox? I do know this *can* happen.

Baloney

To be more specific, are you using the latest Firefox 63 or the Firefox ESR build? Or perhaps a fork like Pale Moon?

EDIT: I just tested this with the AdGuard Adblocker 2.10.13 (standalone) extension for Firefox in Firefox 63 and it's working.

But I had a thought... what other extensions are you using? Perhaps another extension is conflicting with the AG extension for Firefox? I do know this *can* happen.
Yes, I updated to v. 63 when it came up, but the issue was there before even v. 62, I think.
No, I'm not using the ESR, didn't even know about it actually.
Don't know of Pale Moon, don't think I installed anything like that. Where do I check?

The extensions I'm using:
  • AdGuard;
  • bannerbanner - hide view-reducing screen junk from websites (got it after the issue came up);
  • Consent Manager - removes most cookie banners and declines consent by omission (got it after the issue came up);
  • Cookie Popup Blocker - blocks annoying cookie usage popus shown in the EU to comply with GDPR without using blocklists (got it after the issue came up);
  • Download all Images - customizable extension to save selected images from the current tab page (got it after the issue came up);
  • Gismeteo - weather report from Gismeteo (got it before the issue came up, didn't conflict);
  • Greasemonkey - User Script manager for Firefox (had it at different points, didn't conflict);
  • I don't care about cookies - get rid of annoying cookie warnings from almost all 'infected' websites! (got it after the issue came up),
  • Popup Blocker Ultimate - Popup Blocker Ultimate (got it after the issue came up),
  • Privacy Badger - protects you from trackers during your internet browsing (came with some previous version of Firefox, didn't conflict),
  • View Image - brings back the 'view image' button to Google Images (got it after the issue came up).
Edit: Checked Greasemonkey's installed scripts. Had three, none of them had anything to do with ads or banners, although one removes the 'register/ login' pop-up on Pinterest. Still, I installed it after the issue came up, so it's not the culprit.

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
As a test, does it work if you disable all other extensions except AdGuard Adblocker?

TheHasagi

Staff member
Administrator
@Baloney

What's the version of extension?

Can you re-install it and try again? Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this issue.

TheHasagi

Staff member
Administrator
@Baloney

You always can synchronize your FF account so every tab should be kept until you log in again (after reinstalling).