MMS Messages Blocked

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by Davey126, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Problem: Outgoing MMS messages are blocked while Adguard is active; haven't confirmed whether inbound works. Behaves the same regardless of filtering mode (VPN or Local HTTP Proxy). Once Adguard is disabled MMS messages go out normally. Tried adding Verizon MMS URL to whitelist...didn't help (didn't think it would but worth a shot). Obviously a problem as enabling/disabling Adguard is not a realistic option.

2. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Humm...the lack of responses suggests others are not experienced this problem. Looking for confirmation MMS messaging is working for other Adguard users. If true then I need to assess whether my specific device/configuration is the culprit. I reported problem from within Adguard so presumably the support team received details on hardware, etc.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Greetings!

Your best bet is to set Adguard's logging to record everything, then try MMS (logging that it failed) then post the logs for avatar to see. The logs can be found in /sdcard/data/Android/com.adguard.android/cache/logs (or something similar, it varies from device-to-device - it's in the internal storage).

4. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Thanks, Boo Berry.

Log below. To keep it short I disabled Adguard, flushed the existing log, queued up a MMS message, enabled Adguard in VPN mode, returned to the message and attempted to send, waited 15 sec, then disabled Adguard. The message went out moments later. Although I selected VPN mode the same thing happens when configured as a HTTP Proxy. Hope the log sheds some light on the problem!

View attachment adguard.txt

5. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Update

For those following this thread, Adguard support acknowledged the problem indicating it would be fixed in an upcoming release. Support also suggested switching to VPN but as noted in earlier posts MMS messages are blocked regardless of filtering mode. At present I am using VPN mode as it toggles on/off faster than HTTP at least on my device. Due to MMS issue I typically run with Adguard disabled but flick it on for exceptionally annoying sites. Android constraints mandate several steps to enable Adguard in VPN mode but (thankfully) only two clicks to disable it. Might write a Tasker script to automate the process.

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Sorry for that I've missed this thread.

It's strange, VPN mode should have fixed the issue.

The questions are:
    1. Do you use Google Play version or standalone version of Adguard?
    2. If you use standalone version do you have "Filter apps traffic" enabled or not?

7. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Resolved (VPN Mode)

Quick responses (more below):
    1. Google Play version
    2. N/A

I ran some further tests and was successful in getting MMS working with Adguard in VPN mode by disabling/reenabling my messaging app. I use 8sms with default settings for MMS. Investing further, I disabled 8sms and ran with the stock KitKat 4.4.4 messaging app (not Hangouts) as supplied by Verizon. It behaved identically to 8sms so I don't think there is any interaction there. Obviously something got 'reset' during the disable/enable of 8sms. This is the first issue I have experienced with 8sms; hopefully just a one-off.

In summary,
    - incoming MMS works fine regardless of filtering mode
    - outgoing MMS works fine in VPN mode
    - outgoing MMS fails when in HTTP Proxy mode (acknowledged by Adguard support)

For me VPN mode provides a reasonable short term workaround until HTTP Proxy mode is fixed. I do use other VPNs for access to work, etc. so I have to disable Adguard in that situation. Livable.

BTW - this is the ONLY problem I have experienced with the Android variation of Adguard. It effectively filters most ads with no noticeable impact on responsiveness or battery consumption. There are business sites I used to avoid on my mobile due to the obnoxious ads and impact on page load times. They are once again accessible with Adguard 'on guard' (ooo...bad pun).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  8. avatar

What is the Verizon app's name by the way?
    We should also whitelist it for proxy mode.

9. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Messaging v4.4.4-21

This could well be the ASOP messaging app but the version number suggests Verizon may have customized it as it arrived OTA with KitKat build 21.11.21.obakem_verizon.Verizon.en.US

10. avatar

11. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

12. Boo Berry

This kinda sounds eerily familiar. I sure hope this issue isn't related to the one I noticed where PRL/profile updates fail when filtering is enabled. By chance have you tried either one to see if they work on your device?

That would probably be a good idea.

13. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

I haven't noticed the PRL/Profile update issue - possibly because I don't keep Adguard enabled 7x24. Something to keep an eye on.

@Adguard Support: I attempted to zip up the stock messaging apk and attached it here but the forum boards have a ridiculously low size restriction (97.5KB). The zipped APK is about 800KB. So I posted to the associated bug report [BLU-353-83471].

14. avatar

I'll check it, thank you!

What we really need to know is the app package name (need this to whitelist the app).

@Boo, talking about PRL updates, is the bug is still here?

15. Boo Berry

Not sure if it still happens as I moved away from the stock ROM. I wonder if I can virtualize the stock ROM and try it that way, hmmm.

16. avatar

I think that now when we finally can whitelist apps we can whitelist the app that does this update.

17. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

Package names:
    com.android.mms (stock messaging app)
    com.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms (alternative messaging app)

18. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC New Member

I am experiencing the same issues with Handcent. MMS are being blocked both sending and receiving.

19. avatar

Thank you for reporting it!
    We'll whitelist Handcent in the next version.

20. Davey126

Davey126 New Member

I am the OP having raised this concern nearly a month ago. Since posting the above I have found outgoing MMS performance to be variable based on factors that I have yet to identify. Incoming MMS generally works in VPN mode while outgoing MMS is much less reliable and never works in HTTP Proxy mode. At present outgoing MMS does not work in either mode. I have to disable Adguard to reliably send and receive MMS messages.

The process of enabling/disabling Adguard is getting long in the tooth. When can we expect a fix? Will active development continue given Google's recent decision to ban this app from the Play store? Seems revenue is dependent on exposure and you are no longer getting that via Google (at least for the Android App).