Modern UI app filtering

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Adguard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

While looking into ways to filter Modern UI apps as a browser, I discovered the current setup (specifying browser or any application executables) won't work in regards to filtering Modern UI apps. Knowing that Adguard v6 will have the ability to filter applications other than web browsers (e.g. Skype and AIM), Adguard should also have the ability to 'detect' installed Modern UI apps in a list fashion with the ability to specify which Modern UI apps we want to filter (e.g. Weather, News, etc.).

The following criteria could be considered;

- Adguard should be made aware of all installed Modern UI apps in real-time (or every 5 minutes or so), which it'll list in a list fashion.
    - By default, Adguard should not filter all Modern UI apps instead allowing the user to choose which app(s) they want to filter.
    - Under each installed app, Adguard should have the Filter/Don't Filter options and the Delete from List... option.
    - Instead of Add a browser... it should be Refresh list... to detect newly installed apps - Reset to Default should be present as well.
    - The feature will only function with the WFP driver enabled with a notice at top telling the user that the WFP driver needs to be enabled.

Thoughts?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've added this feature request to our tracking system.

At the moment I see this feature a bit different.

- We'll have the short list of applications we can filter for sure
    - You can enable/disable filtering for these applications in our settings
    - Also we'll add two buttons:
    "Add application..." -- we'll show the list of applications installed (either desktop applications and modern ui apps)
    "Browse for executable..." -- the old way, specifying the executable

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Works for me! :D

4. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

liking where this discussion is going however rather than having two buttons to select applications you want to filter wouldn't it be more convenient to have a list of running processes that are connected to the internet from which you'd choose the process that you would like to filter ?

5. avatar

I think browsing for executable file is more common way.
    The application you want to filter could not be running. And if it's running it could be disconnected from the internet at the moment. But it's executable is always present.

6. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

fair enough on the point about the executable however this is my scenario for proposing this feature:

a person has fired up their favourite application for doing stuff on their computer. unfortunately it now comes with an extra feature; ads. fortunately for them Adguard has functionality that will remove this feature from their application and let them get on with it. knowing this, as soon as they see an ad in their favourite application, they'll immediately turn to Adguard, look at the running processes, select their application from the list, confirm that they want to filter ads from it and bingo they have a clean application interface.

my point is, in my opinion, this feature will be used immediately a person discovers ads in a program and so there is a very high chance that the program they'll be targeting will be running and connected to the internet. also to counter the chance of an application not being connected to the internet at the moment, Adguard could be monitoring network connections and since it already starts up with windows no application that has made a network connection will be exempt from the process list.

7. avatar

Your point is fair but what I am talking about is that this way could be additional but it could not be default way to enable filtering (because we are not 100% sure that the app you want to filter ads in is running at the moment).

And one more thing - it could be essential for app ad filtering to restart application after you've enabled it's filtering.

8. rickyoh

rickyoh Beta Tester

hmm you're right on the last point but it can be indicated to the user that in order to enable filtering a restart of the app is required. though you are right when it comes to having the process method as the default, hopefully you can consider this method as an alternative to scanning the programs list.