Need help adding custom DNS (Cloudflare 1.1.1.1)

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by AnthonyB, Apr 5, 2018.

1. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Beta Tester

Until the next version of Adguard for Android is released with Cloudflare included in the list of DNSCrypt DNS servers, I want to create a custom DNS entry.

I tried creating a custom DNS entry witb:
    Server type: DNSCrypt
    Resolver address: 1.1.1.1
    Provider name: Cloudflare
    Provider key: <left blank>

But it didn't work.

Could someone assist me with this?

2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Cloudflare's DNS doesn't support DNSCrypt, you have to add it as a regular DNS server in AG for Android.

As far as I know, Cloudflare's DNS only supports DNS-over-HTTPS and DNS-over-TLS, which AG for Android doesn't currently support.

AnthonyB likes this.
  3. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There's been like 2 or 3 threads on the same/similar topic within last week. Please search for existing posts before creating a new one.

UMX likes this.
  4. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Beta Tester

I did. A few are mine. The one similar one about creating a customer DNS was on iOS version of AG which has VERY different UI so for clarity I created this post.

5. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Beta Tester

So, what confused me was the Simple DNSCrypt on Windows IS listing Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 in its list of resolvers when you select servers with DNSSEC (and no logging and no filter). While I understand that DNSSEC and DNSCrypt are not the same thing, I figured that if Cloudflare is in the list of available resolvers, then it must also support DNSCrypt.

6. UMX

UMX Member

It's quite obviously an error/'bug' in Simple DNSCrypt. Configure it for Win as only DNS resolver and test yourself.