Need new user Un-filters.

Discussion in 'Custom Filters' started by streetwolf, Oct 8, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Awhile back I requested that the Business box contents on www.cnn.com should not be blocked. You kindly made a change to your English filter which accomplished this.

I no longer user the English Filter but do use Fanboy's Annoyance List which blocks the Business box contents again. I discovered that the following two filters in FAL are the culprits. I had to disable both of them to get the stuff in the Business box to display:

||widgets.outbrain.com^$third-party

##.OUTBRAIN

Can I get two filters, specific only to cnn.com, to override what's in FAL, unless you can come up with a different solution? I don't want to disable the two filters in FAL because that probably would affect other sites which I don't want to do.

Thank you very much.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I came up with this one filter when placed in my User Filter List displays the contents of the Business box:

@@||widgets.outbrain.com^$third-party^$domain=cnn.com

Is this filter specific only to cnn.com the way I coded it?

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Crap! Just updated FAL and the Business box is empty once again. Furthermore, disabling the two filters I mentioned in my first post don't bring the contents back. Must be a new filter I suspect.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Doesn't look like a new filter was added. My filter still works fine if I use ABP instead of AG. Maybe this is another case of converting ABP rules to AG rules?

2. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I had to use ABP to get the filters correct. These are now doing what I want them to do:

@@||widgets.outbrain.com^$third-party,domain=cnn.com
    cnn.com#@#.OUTBRAIN

Hope AG 6 will have the features of ABP. They make figuring out filters a lot easier among other things. I will be keeping ABP on my system but disabled so that when I need it I will enable it. Same goes for Element Hider, but that doesn't seem to be working 100% on Fx35 Nightly at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  3. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi @streetwolf!

The rule from the first message has a syntax mistake, that's why it didn't work in Adguard.

How exactly has ABP helped you to figure out the right filters?

4. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Hi avatar.

One of the main features in ABP is the hit count feature. When I need to see what filters were used on a site, I'll clear the hit counter list and then go to the site. I can then look at all the hits and know that it came from the site I visited. Knowing this I can then create filters to reverse whatever filter I need too. AG hasn't anything like this and I hope you add it in 6.0. Also I find it easier to scroll through ABP filter lists to find similar filters. In the case of my filters above I found a bunch of filters that used domain. I found one very similar to the original filter I wanted to override and that's how I discovered the proper syntax.

AG's log feature is very confusing to me. I tried to use it to come up with the overriding filters I needed but I could not do it with the info presented. Too complicated IMO.

Also, what do the different colors on the filters mean? Green seems to be filters that are not filtered. However, take the filter cnn.com#@#.OUTBRAIN. AGs color for this is light blue while ABP is green. Shouldn't it be green since it is a filter that allows?

I think it was mentioned that ABP filters are a little different then AG filters so a conversion needs to be done if EasyList filters are used. If this is true, couldn't there be cases where the conversion isn't done properly? Personally I find the EasyList filters more comprehensive then AGs which is why I don't use AGs lists except for the User list. AGs social media list blocks far less stuff then Fanboy's Social list and Annoyance list, which blocks even more stuff.

I like AG because it causes less lag then ABP and it covers all browsers. Combine this with the best features of ABP and you got an even bigger winner on your hands.

5. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hits count is really great thing. It's really simple to do in Firefox, but in other browsers or in desktop app it is very hard. I doubt it's even possible in IE.

In future we will better integrate our browser extension and windows version and add some kind of "filter developer mode" to extension.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014