No longer blocking Facebook suggested posts

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Chrome and Opera' started by Gary Quiring, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gary Quiring

Gary Quiring New Member

Starting today, my Facebook is riddled with these inline timeline posts that start with "Suggested post" and XYZ likes this... It's all ads. Adguard always did a great job removing them. It's no longer blocking any of them.

Wittier likes this.
  2. Blaz

Blaz Moderator & Translator Moderator

Just fixed a "Sponsored" post over at github (update will be available in 2-3 hours). Didn't see any "likes this" though.
    Please send a report using "Submit a complaint about this website" in extension's menu.

Please note Facebook is using a lot of different elements to define a sponsored post. They even blocked contextmenu on that "Sponsored" text this time and put parts of the words in different elements, so when one searches for the text in code, it won't show up.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. Gary Quiring

Gary Quiring New Member

I tried submitting a report and it locked up twice while uploading the photo.

This is what I am seeing with XYZ likes this .... FacebookAd.PNG

4. Blaz

Not sure if that like part will be removed with the new rule too, you have to check later.

5. Wittier

Wittier Member

Windows 10 10.0.17133
    Chrome
    Adguard Chrome Extension, that I've been using for years.

Same problem just started yesterday, Apr 17.

Normally, AdGuard blocks nearly all ads on facebook.com in Chrome. Yesterday, I started seeing a lot of "suggested post" ads in the facebook News Feed.

I tried submitting several of these ads to create filters for them. That did not work.

Something has changed with AdGuard or in how Facebook serves these ads.

I tried to troubleshoot, tried to update filters, no luck.

6. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Looking at what's being said here: https://greasyfork.org/en/forum/discussion/36738/x
    Hopefully that'll help with fixing that.

Facebook changed/added/fixed stuff (they finally fixed the Chrome lag when scrolling down the recent posts news feed). It broke the Facebook Unsponsored userscript I use through AG for Windows as an extension to deal with these, but it's been since updated for this. I highly recommend using this userscript through AG for Windows or a userscript manager like Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey.

7. Wittier

Wittier Member

Thanks for the reply. Your knowledge of AG is a lot more deep than mine is.

Big Picture questions: Are you saying that anyone using facebook on Chrome on Windows really needs to use AG for Windows rather than the Chrome Extension to block the most common ads on the most popular website, facebook?

And are you saying that each user of AdGuard Chrome Extension should go in and edit filter code?

8. Boo Berry

1. No, the browser extensions work pretty well by themselves. I mentioned AG for Windows because it has built-in support for userscripts, like Facebook Unsponsored, which is a userscript that removes Facebook's ads (also supports multiple localizations and regions for Facebook). It's worth noting that this can also be accomplished by using a userscript extension like Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey alongside a adblocking browser extension, if desired (this is what I do on Linux).

2. Also no. The quote from Greasy Fork that I posted above is meant for the filter devs to help them know what changed so new filters can be created, if necessary.

9. Wittier

Wittier Member

Thanks for the reply. How do we get this thread to be seen by the filter devs?

10. Boo Berry

11. Adam

Adam Filters Developer Staff Member Moderator

Could you please check this rule:
    Code:
    facebook.com##div[id^="substream_"] > div > div[id] div[id^="hyperfeed_story_id_"]:has(div._5pcp._5lel > span > div > a[href="#"])

12. Wittier

Wittier Member

Tweeted

https://twitter.com/CollarTen/status/986596971975725057

13. Boo Berry

Try adding the rule @Adam posted above to the user filter in the AG browser extension settings. I'm using it and it looks to be working.

14. Blaz

It seems Facebook uses a different selector at the end and that is why the rule I added yesterday is not working for everyone. A new rule will be added shortly.

Wittier likes this.
  15. Boo Berry

Looks like it's been committed to the English filter. Wait an hour or two, then open the AG browser extension's settings and click on Check for filter updates. After the filters update the sponsored posts *should* gone then. :)

Wittier likes this.
  16. Wittier

Wittier Member

Thank you.

17. Gary Quiring

Gary Quiring New Member

My timeline is still loaded up with these "Suggested Post" ads.

18. Boo Berry

Have you checked for filter updates?

19. Gary Quiring

Gary Quiring New Member

Ok that was the problem, thanks! My timeline is ad free.

20. Boo Berry

Groovy, glad to hear it! :)