No longer working since upgrade to v. 2

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Mac)' started by Tribulatio, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

I have been using Adguard for nearly 18 months, and it has always worked fine. No longer since I upgraded to v. 2 two weeks ago, however. Although the Adguard Assistant is activated, the stats remain to zero—no blocked trackers, no blocked ads, etc. Before the upgrade, there was a constantly growing (and impressive) number of such blocked things. After 15 days with v. 2, it stays to zero. And the small shield that I could see in my browsers in the lower corner on the right does no longer appear anywhere.

If I install and activate a browser extension, it works, but only for that browser (ads are then blocked in that browser). But the purpose of having a Adguard license is not to install separate (free) extensions for each browser, obviously, but to have it working system wide, as it did before the upgrade to v. 2.

Tonight, I have attempted to make a full removal and reinstall of Adguard. I have followed the instructions to advanced deletion of Adguard (including the folders in my Mac's Library), then I have made a fresh reinstall of Adguard. But even after relaunching my Mac, it does not work. (Moreover, each time I attempt to reactivate my license, I am now getting a connexion error.)

What is happening with v. 2? How to solve that?

2. Chinaski

Chinaski Support Marine Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@Tribulatio
    Your problem is not typical.
    Despite the advanced removal and installation of our application for a new problem is not solved? Then I would like to ask you to provide access from TeamViewer.

3. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

Indeed, despite removal and new installation of application, problem is not resolved.
    The only issue I have been able to resolve has been the connection error at the time of update: by deactivating Little Snitch temporarily, update has become possible. (I have had Little Snitch installed on my Mac for years, and there had been no conflict with AdGuard until v. 2 was installed.)
    Thus I have attempted to leave Little Snitch deactivated for some more time and see if AdGuard would work properly then, but it didn't.
    Regarding access from TeamViewer, it would mean contacting support and agree ingabout an appointment time for the intervention, right?

4. Chinaski

@Tribulatio

As for the other third-party software? Do you use antivirus and firewalls, etc?
    About access TeamViewer. You can send him a personal message to me and I will connect to you soon. Or we will agree on a certain day and time at your convenience.

5. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Little Snitch was mentioned, and that kinda counts as a firewall (and if I recall correctly, has been a source of AG for Mac issues in the past). Likely something that might need tested.

6. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

Yes, I am using Virus Barrier and Net Barrier (Intego). But I have been using them for years, and there was never any issue during the 18 months I was using AdGuard along with them before the upgrade to v. 2.

Obviously, a possibility is that I should change something in my settings (the most likely explanation). I have made screenshots of each section of my AdGuard Preferences: kindly let me know if there is anything I might attempt to change in order to solve the issue.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      100.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      122.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      174.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      113.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      201.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.png
      7.png
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.png
      8.png
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
    • 9.png
      9.png
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
  7. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

Thank you: indeed, I have a suspicion about that. I did not change anything in my LittleSnitch settings when I upgraded to AdGuard 2. But you are right, there might be a conflict with some new setting in AdGuard 2 (since it did not take over my previously existing settings of v. 1, I had to make a fresh configuration of the AdGuard settings).

8. Chinaski

@Tribulatio

Tell me please, did you manage to solve your problem?

9. YvaMa

YvaMa New Member

10. YvaMa

YvaMa New Member

Hello. I also have a big problem with version 2.0.4 and the new version 2.0.6 which does not want to install over 2.0.4. At each reboot, the old version comes back despite a complete and thorough uninstallation. At each restart asks me permission to settle! The support has not been able to help me so far.

11. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

Not yet - but I have been sick for the past three days, and thus I have left that aside.

Have you been able to look at the screenshots of my seetings that I shared, and to spot some setting that might have to be changed in order to overcome the issue?

Interestingly, the app extensions (for Safari and Firefox) are working fine. What is not working is the system-wide app.

12. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

Good news! It is my pleasure to let you know that it has started working again.
    After my many previous attempts, I did the following things:

1) I deactivated AdGuard extensions, i.e. AdGuard for Safari and the AdGuard extension for Firefox;
    2) I did a reset of AdGuard settings;
    3) I then shut down and relaunched my Mac;
    4) I relaunched AdGuard;
    5) when I was asked how I would like to configure the settings, I just chose the option to leave them as they are;
    6) I started Safari - at first, nothing happened, but after one or two minutes, suddenly the AdGuard shield started appearing in the lower right corner;
    7) the same thing happened with my other browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, etc.
    8) and the stat counter of the app has started working again too: already 84 blocked ads.

Thus it is my pleasure to let you know that the problem is solved at last.

One question still: do you advise me to keep AdGuard for Safari active, and the AdGuard extensions for various browsers, or is it better to deactivate / remove those extensions when AdGuard is installed systemwide?
    I thank you in advance.

13. Boo Berry

If you're using AdGuard for Mac, there's no reason to use the Safari or Firefox browser extensions. In Safari's case there's absolutely no reason to use the Safari extension alongside AdGuard for Mac, as integration mode doesn't work with Safari.

14. Tribulatio

Tribulatio New Member

T
    Thank you very much. I have deleted them now, which may also prevent some possible conflict in the future.

15. krafty167

krafty167 New Member

I have the same issue since the update. No one is able to figure it out yet. I was given the option of that night view that I may try?

16. krafty167

krafty167 New Member

I thought mine was fixed also after following the instructions to remove and reinstall. After one week it is back to not working. Its too bad that I recently after 3-years purchased a life time license as I think I am going to go with another blocker if this isn't solved soon. I received an email from Adguard yesterday saying it is a known issue.

17. Boo Berry

Have you updated and installed 2.0.6 yet?

18. krafty167

krafty167 New Member

My mess as stated by the other user started with the update. About 10-days later there was another update that I installed that made no difference. I checked for updates over the weekend and everything was current but now it is not working. This is pretty ridiculous that a new version can be released without some bench testing. I don't have hours to sit there and trouble shoot a problem created by Adguard. I have already went through the steps given to remove and reinstall the software. As stated after I removed this garbage software and reinstalled it worked fine for a week, at least it stayed green though not sure it gave any protection, then one day when I booted the pc I got the message that it was no longer working and to contact support.

19. Chinaski

@krafty167
    Hello there!
    Can you reproduce the problem, please? Collect logs and send to PM or Email.
    Temporarily you can try to install an old version of our software.

20. Chinaski

@YvaMa
    About your issue - here is the link where you can track the progress of your problem.
    Also, it should be kind if you send the report of a crash. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019