Notification Icon Status.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (AdGuard for Android)' started by Nameless, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Is it possible to get a status icon based on the state of adguard?

For example Green/White for active Red for deactivated, the reason im asking for this is because i was confused why i was getting so many ads on my Nexus i mean the icon was in the top corner saying adguard was running but it didnt say it was deactivated (still dont know how it got deactivated). So if there was a status icon based on active/deactivate this would help not just me but others in future i was about to report a load of ads on applications and sites :p

edit:
    Ok now im a little confused.

I just disabled adguard on my Nexus, the icon vanished which surprised me because before i made this post and earlier today when i checked adguard it was disabled but there was an icon hence my suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  2. davidm

davidm New Member

Which version of Android and which filtering setting are you using? Since you have a Nexus, rooting and running it in proxy mode might be a better experience for you. I found it to be the more seamless and compatible option, especially with Lollipop.

I also had to disable ipv6 on my main router to get good results. My friend stopped using it completely as it didn't work with his mobile network and he keeps his wifi radio off to increase battery life. An update for this is hopefully not too far off, then we'd really only have the occasional https ad slip through.

3. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Im using Lollipop David and the VPN filtering because i dont really want to root my nexus, the main reason for this is i constantly end up testing applications and just installing loads of crap i do the same with my mobile and now im lucky if i can answer the phone without it turning off lol

Besides if this is an issue its something that the devs can maybe look at and maybe fix

Edit:
    Should i be getting ads on youtube via the youtube app?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  4. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi, that's kind of strange, because with disabled Adguard you shouldn't have any icon at all. Are you sure there was no mistake? Are you able to reproduce this again?

Unfortunately, some apps still contain HTTPS-based ads, and were are not yet able to block them. But we sure work in this direction and will fix it in future updates.

5. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Not been able to reproduce it, but adguard was disabled on my screen and i did have an icon in the notification area. I did "try" an take a screenshot but pah nexus is stupid and i was too lazy to grab my mobile as it was 4am at the time.

Ok no problem just thought i would ask.

6. vasily_bagirov

The only thought that comes to mind is maybe it is possible for short period of time if you disable Adguard almost simultaneously with network, and then enable network again. Was this the case?

7. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Damn i just wrote my reply and pressed the wrong button lol

Like i said above i dont know how it got disabled or even for how long, i just noticed on two different days i was getting ads i should not of been, on the second day i investigated.

If what you said above could be the cuse then maybe i was messing with adguard one day and it lost the wifi connection at the same time? It often does in the bedroom.

8. vasily_bagirov

I can't say for sure, but our Android developers can't think of any other explanation, and even this one is only a possibility. I'd say consider it a one-time bug unless it happens again.

9. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Well its happened again, still not sure how it does it.

What ive done?
    Played Asphalt 8 -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftA8HM&hl=en_GB
    Closed flap on Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-SLIMLINE-Portfolio-Android-Version/dp/B008NMCPTQ
    Watched a video on via Youtube app
    Used Chrome, Play Store, Gmail, Facebook, AppSales, DealPad

Here are two images:
    http://i.imgur.com/TokWJ7H.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/1f4qacr.jpg

Ok this isn't the same as last time but the icon should be the top left.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  10. vasily_bagirov

Hi! Can I clarify: do you mean the 'key' icon, which is injected by Android? Because we can't remove it, and in Lollipop it is shown in the right part of notification bar. Or do you mean the Adguard 'shield' icon? It is indeed our own icon, but it could be disabled in Advanced settings in Lollipop.

11. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Im on about your icon, i know the key icon can not be removed even if it is annoying me.

Your icon has just vanished without a reason, i know i can get it back if i go into the app settings as ive done this before.
    As for lollipops advanced settings where are you on about? I haven't told any icons to be disabled. If our on about Sound and notifications > App Notifications > then block and priority are disabled (grey).

Like i said your icon should be there and has been for many days, then *poof* gone without reason.

12. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Nameless, I think Vasily meant Adguard app settings.

So, is it simple to reproduce this icon disappearing issue?
    Could you please send us a message from the app right after it happens next time? (I'll also need the ticket ID)

13. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Hey Avatar, in the application i have told it to always display the icon, this way i know if its on or not. If you mean settings > apps > adguard then "show notifications" is ticked i have not told any application not to display its icon that i can think of as i use them as signs that an application is running and needs to be shut down if i forgot (my memory isn't too great).

And no, i mean its simple to make the icon re-appear if i go into adguard settings and then re-choose my icon as ive done this before, this is something i have not done yet as i was waiting to see what you thought it could be. I guess i tell the icon to come back and then report if it happens again though.

14. avatar

Thank you, will be waiting for this report.

For now I don't yet understand how it happened. My guess is that the app was killed by Android and then restarted. But in this case the icon should reappear, i have no idea why it's different in your case.

15. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

This morning: Adguard was disabled, no icon and the green button in the app was grey.

This evening: Adguard icon vanished again, but the app was running.

I have no idea whats going on. Thought it might of been CCleaner but seems not as i ran it 4 days ago and then just now, did nothing but delete some files. It couldnt be anything to do with the HTTPS could it? Vasily said youtube ads were not blocked because some apps use this and you dont currently support it.

What about low power?

I can tell you it seems to be working well even with these issues: 569mb bandwith saved, 19416 ads blocked 1 threat blocked (wish i knew what that was)

16. avatar

This may be CCleaner, simetimes it kills app process along with cleaning the cache. Try adding Adguard to exceptions in CCleaner

17. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

I doubt its CCleaner, i rarely run.

As for adding AdGuard to a whitelist its impossible, there is no whitelist as it should not close an application without the user manually picking it and clicking end task.

But, im more than willing in double checking via removing the application, in fact i'll do it now.

edit:
    List of things ive installed:

Accuweather (only installed last week)
    App sales
    BBC i player radio
    CPU-Z (should remove this i was checkign soemting)
    DealPad
    ES file explorer
    MX Player
    Nova Settings
    Rec.
    Smart App Lock
    SwiftKey
    TeamViwer
    Twitch
    VLC
    Wifi insppector
    wifi overview
    Youtube
    Ultimate rotation tool

Then some random games.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
  18. avatar

Ok let's wait if it happens again without CCleaner

19. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Seeing as it's just me reporting this issue, don't worry about it. But adguard this morning was enabled, this afternoon it's disabled only things I've been doing are YouTube, gmail, dealpad, play store and chrome that I can think of like I said because their only seems to be me with this issue don't worry.

20. avatar

Anyway log file may be useful. Now it's too late for it though, but maybe next time?