Nova launcher being bad?

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by d0x, Mar 18, 2019.

1. d0x

d0x New Member

The team is TeslaCoil the developers of Nova Launcher Pro for Android say that the app doesn't collect any info nor does it EVER access the network.

That being said every time I open the settings of Nova and only then it triggers a warning from the adguard firewall.

Any thoughts or similar experiences with this app? I have no idea what it could be doing because despite talking to multiple people at the company they are adamant that the app NEVER uses data.

Here is a screen shot of my filtering log right after the notification is triggered. I have adguard set to block this app from being able to use wifi or cell data.

Sorry about the broken images inserts, it won't let me edit them out. They use the same URL as I posted so im not sure why they aren't working, at least they aren't on chrome mobile.

http://imgur.com/a/L7KMmIp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steven Shank

Steven Shank New Member

I have adguard for Android. Android 7. Nova current. Cannot replicate your issue. Open nova settings. Get nothing from Adguard. Checked logs and have 2 listings regarding bug reporting from Nova. Nothing else.

3. d0x

d0x New Member

I actually got an answer from the development team instead of support. I'll paste their response below...

"This is with regards to our new versioning system where we display Stable/Beta/Alpha at the top of the Nova Settings screen. You can disable it completely and hide notifications within AdGuard for it, but note that if you do it won't show Stable/Alpha/Beta up top and it will also disable the Check For Updates option within Nova.

Kevin is working to work around all of this in the future as this is all knew changes in Firebase. But for now you can rest assured it's nothing malicious, not collecting data or anything similar" - TeslaCoil

I never suspected it was malicious I was just curious what was happening because they say it never uses the network. I'm glad one of the developers got back to me...it was way more helpful than the normal customer service who just kept repeating that Nova doesn't use data.

SonofWes, DirkGently and Steven Shank like this.
  4. Steven Shank

Steven Shank New Member

Thanks. Good info

SonofWes likes this.
  5. d0x

d0x New Member

My pleasure

SonofWes likes this.
  6. fark

fark New Member

Thank you, using Nova Pro and thought this was off.

7. BACILIYATSIA

BACILIYATSIA New Member

That being said every time I open the settings of Nova and only then it triggers a warning from the adguard firewall.

Any thoughts or similar experiences Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ with this app? I have no idea what it could be doing because despite talking to multiple people at the company they are adamant that the app NEVER uses data.

8. Catman51

Catman51 Beta Tester

Never had a problem with Nova Launcher.

9. d0x

d0x New Member

Check out my 2nd post in the thread

10. Catman51

Catman51 Beta Tester