Okay, I'm stumped..."Cannot enable protection"

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
So early this morning, my time (Central Standard Time), I had adguard running smoothly...everything was working out fine. So I rebooted to check some bios settings, no biggie. I didn't change one single setting while in there, I just checked that everything was to my liking. Which it was. So I started up Windows....typed in my pin...and I get a red aguard shield in my system tray. So I launch the application, and am greeted with "Protection Disabled", with a button underneath that, that says "restore protection". So naturally, I clicked "restore protection"....and all I get from that is a system with ads, and an error saying "Can't enable the protection"....I am a beta user, but this hasn't ever happened before, and it's now been almost 10 hours since that happened to me. I've submitted support tickets, with no answer, so I thought I'd see if anyone knows what's going on, and how come it was working fine one minute, then five minutes or less later, it won't work for squat. Help?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I have to say, this has me stumped too. The *only* thing I can think of to try is uninstalling Adguard and reinstalling it.

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
I have to say, this has me stumped too. The *only* thing I can think of to try is uninstalling Adguard and reinstalling it.
I have tried uninstalling via "programs and features", reboot, re-install adguard, reboot....still the same.....

I have tried uninstalling via IOUninstaller, uninstalled, cleaned registry....reboot....re-installed adguard....reboot....still the same problem. Nothing I have tried has helped. Tried running without the WPS filter....same results...and it worked fine this morning. (Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14271.rs1_release.160218-2310, the one that was just released two or so days ago...and after upgrading, adguard worked fine) I've even tried disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere while repeating the steps...same thing happens running without an anti-virus, just defender.....I am truly scratching my head at this point....)

So, I just plugged in my Beta license, and it now says "cannot start driver filtering"....????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

loges

Have the same problem "cannot enable protection" Waiting for support to help me fix

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

doesn't work ibelieve support have solution waiting for fix

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
Have the same problem "cannot enable protection" Waiting for support to help me fix

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

doesn't work ibelieve support have solution waiting for fix
ok, so I'm not alone then....thanks for chiming in! Now I can relax a little, as I thought it was just my system borking up again. I appreciate it, saves me a headache.

Nameless

Beta Tester
Could a firewall be blocking it?
WFP driver enabled/disabled? (try flipping it and restarting your computer)
Also try checking the proxy settings (General Settings > Proxy) i know i had an issue with my filters not updating and im not sure what fixed it tbh but this was what i did.

Clicked WFP Driver (was asked to restart clicked cancel and flipped it back to how it was - enabled)
Then i clicked No proxy and my filters updated then i switched it back to use system proxy been fine ever since.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Okay guys...

Please list any software you're using - Windows version, Adguard version and anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall/other security applications - maybe there's a clue there to help narrow this down. There's also a good chance Andrey/Vasily will need logs or want to look into this via remote access (TeamViewer) to see exactly why this is happening.

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
Could a firewall be blocking it?
WFP driver enabled/disabled? (try flipping it and restarting your computer)
Also try checking the proxy settings (General Settings > Proxy) i know i had an issue with my filters not updating and im not sure what fixed it tbh but this was what i did.

Clicked WFP Driver (was asked to restart clicked cancel and flipped it back to how it was - enabled)
Then i clicked No proxy and my filters updated then i switched it back to use system proxy been fine ever since.
No, it was working fine with my current firewall, never have touched it, always worked fine. I tried the WFP driver too, didn't work either. I've spent almost a whole day trying to figure out if it was just my system, which it shouldn't be, since it was working fine, I reboot, and it stopped...so it has to be adguard. NOTHING was changed on my system. No updates installed, no software was installed, my firewall....I even disabled it....still didn't work.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Okay guys...

Please list any software you're using - Windows version, Adguard version and anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall/other security applications - maybe there's a clue there to help narrow this down. There's also a good chance Andrey/Vasily will need logs or want to look into this via remote access (TeamViewer) to see exactly why this is happening.
Webroot SecureAnywhere 9.0.7.46 (Enterprise version), Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 14271.rs1_release.160218-2310, (webroot is an all in one...malware/firewall/antivirus, and adguard is set explicitly to ALLOW in the firewall)....Adguard Version 6.0.194.1008, Steam. That's it. My normal group of stuff, that's why I can't understand what's going on. Literally NOTHING has changed on my system, except trying to uninstall/reinstall adguard, thinking that that's what may have been causing the issue. The filters update fine, but the protection will not start. At all.2016-02-25.png 2016-02-25 (1).png 2016-02-25 (2).png

I've checked event viewer...the only mention of an adguard event, was when I tried to manually launch the service from the Program Files (x86) directory by hand....which I figured wouldn't work, but it put one entry in my event viewer. o_O

My report ticket is here: https://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/Tickets/Ticket/View/BOD-826-89458

After further digging around event viewer, I came up with:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 2/25/2016 12:28:55 PM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Lenovo-PC
Description:
The adgnetworkwfpdrv service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-25T18:28:55.722840800Z" />
<EventRecordID>562</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="888" ThreadID="504" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Lenovo-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">adgnetworkwfpdrv</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%577</Data>
<Binary>6100640067006E006500740077006F0072006B007700660070006400720076000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Checked the Trusted Certificates on my system, adguard is set as trusted, so I don't understand.....

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
Well well....I rebooted into Troubleshooting Mode, disabled Driver Signature Enforcement, rebooted, re-installed adguard, and lo and behold, works like a charm! Now, to reboot to regular mode and see if it still works.....be right back....

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Rebooted back to normal mode, adguard doesn't work, so it's something dealing with the Digital Signature/Trusted Certificate of adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys, and Windows 10 not liking it.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You might be onto something here. adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys (and likely the TDI driver too) are signed only with a SHA-1 certificate, which is being completely depreciated by the end of the year for Windows 7/8/10. It'll need to be signed with a SHA-256 certificate - I'm sure this will fix the issue.

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
You might be onto something here. adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys (and likely the TDI driver too) are signed only with a SHA-1 certificate, which is being completely depreciated by the end of the year for Windows 7/8/10. It'll need to be signed with a SHA-256 certificate - I'm sure this will fix the issue.
I finally got a response from Support, and I sent them all of my log files, as per requested, however, I also told them about what i have discovered, so hopefully, they'll take notice. I am sure that once they open my Windows System event logs, they'll see the error about adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys, as that's the way I figured it out. I'm glad I have done my "homework", lol!

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Looks like this is a confirmed issue, at least it seems so in the Windows 10 Insider Preview Redstone builds. Nonetheless the development team is aware of it and they are working on it.

obiwankenobi

Beta Tester
That is very good to know. I am a Microsoft Insider, and I'm on the fast ring, if that makes any difference.....but I'm glad to know that they are on it. *breathes a sigh of relief* I use adguard because I ABSOLUTELY cannot tolerate ads...and I've never had a problem up until yesterday, when it all went haywire. Glad I could help bring it to the surface, for others who might be having problems such as mine, if nothing else.