OnePlus 6: Adguard stops blocking

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by Chris Albanese, Jun 5, 2018.

1. johnjamesthe3rd

johnjamesthe3rd New Member

I found the option "always on VPN" yesterday actually and now Adguard stays active.

2. Mark Messinger

Mark Messinger New Member

Strictly speaking, my problem isn't that Adguard stops blocking ads. My problem is that Adguard is becoming disabled and has to be manually re-enabled, throughout the day.

OnePlus' update to Android 9 (Pie) has caused Adguard to stop functioning, on my OnePlus 6. The new "Always-on VPN" setting allows me to get a notification when Adguard is off, which is helpful. But I've set about trying to diagnose a permanent solution. I'm now on the nightly build, which is still producing the notification that Adguard is off.

pref.vpn.disable.reconfigure is already enabled.
    Watchdog is set to 10.
    Adguard has always been set to "Don't optimize" battery optimization.
    Adguard is now "locked" into recents
    Normally, I have Adguard notifications off, but I've turned them back on, until I figure out a better solution.

Are there any other ideas, as I see if any of these settings will cause a fix?

3. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Mark Messinger

Hello!

Does it mean that AdGuard has disappeared from the "Recent tasks" menu or the protection is turned off after a couple of a time?

Try to use this article to solve the problem and let me know if your problem is solved.

4. Mark Messinger

Mark Messinger New Member

Without locking Adguard into 'Recent tasks,' I have found Adguard eventually becomes disabled. In Android 9, I can designate Adguard to be an 'always-on' VPN. That way, when Adguard becomes disabled, I get a notification saying the always-on VPN is now off.

Over the last 24 hours, I have pretty much confirmed that, if I lock Adguard in 'Recent tasks,' it does not become disabled.

This article offers three solutions. One is to lock Adguard into 'Recent tasks.' Another has to do with battery optimization. The third is to designate Adguard as an 'always-on' VPN. For me, it was locking Adguard into 'Recent tasks' that appears to have provided the fix to my problem. Even when Adguard was set to 'not optimize' battery optimization, it could become disabled, if it were not locked in 'Recent tasks.' It looks to me as though the only thing I get, for setting 'always-on' VPN is a notification, should the VPN become disabled.

5. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Mark Messinger

This is a feature of Oxygen OS and can't be handled from our side. It's fine if locking AdGuard in a Recent tasks menu helps.

6. Seb

Seb New Member

Locking adguard also seems to have fixed this problem for me. Thanks Mark for testinh it out.

7. Bacevs

Bacevs New Member

:(

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM