Outbrain links appear to be OK.

Discussion in 'False Positives' started by streetwolf, Aug 14, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

CNN.com uses Outbrain to provide links on their pages. As far as I can tell these links are not ads, they just provide links to interesting things on the web.

Some of these Outbrain links appear under the heading "Around the Web" but not always. So far I haven't found any that are intrusive when I disable AG in order to see them.

[​IMG]

Disabling in the English Filters this rule... ##a[onmousedown^="this.href='http://paid.outbrain.com/network/redir?"][target="_blank"] produces the links. However some Outbrain stuff I tried to make visible by disabling filters didn't work. Are you sure Outbrain is really something that needs to be filtered?

At the very least how do I disable these filters on cnn.com and it's associated pages?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

*Bumpety Bump* :)

3. Alex302

Alex302 Filters Developer Staff Member Administrator

Hi!
    Code:
    @@||outbrain.com^$domain=cnn.com	
    blogs.cnn.com#@#a[onmousedown^="this.href='http://paid.outbrain.com/network/redir?"][target="_blank"]
    Please, check this rules in user filters.

4. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Thanks for the filters Alex302. Unfortunately they didn't work but based on their syntax I was able to come up with ones that do work.

cnn.com#@#a[onmousedown^="this.href='http://paid.outbrain.com/network/redir?"][target="_blank"]
    cnn.com#@#.ob_container .item-container-obpd

5. Alex302

I made exclusion for existing rule - ||outbrain.com^$third-party .
    But they are works fine for me with AdGuard program and browser extension. Can you check again?
    "blogs.cnn.com" we can extend to "cnn.com".

6. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

None of the filters you posted helped at all. Only the two that I came up with do what I want.

7. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

Outbrain is not a false positive, it is an ad service and tracker.

8. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I find the links that I click on are informative. It's not like you are clicking on an ad proper. The site you are sent to will be ad filtered too. These can almost be considered useful non-ad ads if you will.

As far as tracking goes doesn't other filters take care of that?

9. Alex302

Can you specify filters, which are you using? With standard AdGuard filters all is OK(with my rules).

10. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Now I'm having a problem with AG's social media filters. It is removing perfectly valid things on cnn.com not related to outbrain. Fanboy's social media list does not remove them.

For simplicity sake I am only using the AG English and AG social media filter.

Capture.PNG

11. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

The business section, you mean?

12. Alex302

13. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

Yes and also the other blank boxes that have titles that aren't showing up for some reason. The empty box titled Sponsored Links are indeed ad links and should be empty although It looks crappy with a blank box.

Here's what it should look like. The Around the Web box is the outbrain stuff which I allow as they really aren't ads IMO.

Capture1.PNG

14. Boo Berry

If you don't mind the blank space and if the sponsored links box never changes location, this rule should remove it;

Code:
    cnn.com###cnn_maincntnr > DIV.cnn_contentarea.cnn_shdsectbin:nth-child(9) > DIV.cnn_bin.bin_12:nth-child(21) > DIV.cnn_sectbin4.cnn_bin_full_width4
    Around The World section is blocked though, will need to look into that one deeper.

15. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

The sponsored links box at times becomes something else. Last time it was some AOL links that weren't ads just some normal links.

16. Boo Berry

I have a feeling this is one of those problematic sites where if whitelisting certain parts to show content accidently blocked by Adguard will inadvertently unblock ads. This may require some additional research.