Outbrain, Taboola, etc.

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by streetwolf, Aug 22, 2014.

1. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

AG filters out the links for these type of paid services used by many news, weather and other sites but the 'box' and title remain. The title is usually something like 'From around the Web'. It would be nice to completely remove the titles and empty boxes from all those sites where you block these links.

You will find Outbrain on cnn.com and msn.com. Taboola is at weather.com. There are probably more companies like Outbrain and Taboola and on many more sites.

This also begs the question which I've asked before.... Is filtering these really necessary? They are just links which you don't have to click on. Even if you do they seem to serve up interesting content.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What do you suggest?

Maybe it's better to put them to annoyances filter?

3. streetwolf

streetwolf Beta Tester

I really don't know at this point how they should be handled. They aren't ads in the traditional sense where you have either a banner or some box that you can tell it's an ad. Outbrain and Taboola serves up links which blend in nicely with whatever page they are on. The user isn't aware that these are links that are paid for and not served up by the web page they are on. Deleting them can make the page less 'attractive' if you will. Blank spots, headings that are still visible, etc.. All the adblockers block them so you are not alone.

One big complaint is the links they provide are crap and have nothing to do with things you are interested presumably by tracking the different pages you visit. Personally I use them if I find the title interesting. Unless Outbrain and Taboola are really evil I say let them display.

Perhaps segregating them into their own list would be a good idea. That way they would be more controllable. Disable the filter and they will all appear or selectively enable/disable certain rules for your own needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014