Pie Private DNS & AdGuard Secure DNS

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by haakon, Jan 10, 2019.

1. haakon

haakon Member

I've been using Secure DNS under Custom DNS servers on my two devices. (So far, I've found the doh-crypto-sx to be the most stable and effective for DoH in the regional choices.)

With the arrival of Pie on my Moto X4, I wondered if the default Automatic setting in in Private DNS should be instead Off and inquired with support@.

I thought I'd pass on the reply:

1) Go to Settings –> Network & Internet –> Advanced –> Private DNS.
    2) Select Automatic mode.
    3) If you wish to select a certain provider (quad9, cloudflare, Adguard, Google, Yandex), you may specify it's hostname and hit Save.

I'm thinking of moving from Automatic and configuring a Private DNS provider hostname as 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com.

Cheers.

2. lostcowboy

lostcowboy New Member

Hi, I think in number three, they are talking about the AdGuard app, the DNS section, custom DNS server selection.

On your android Pie setting, when you go to private DNS, you will likely have to slots available for IP numbers, Myself I would use AdGuard DNS server in the first one, and cloudflare in the second one for backup. That way you get Adguards ad blocking, and if it should go down you switch to cloudflare automatically.

PS; while AdGuard is in VPN mode it will over ride your setting, and use what you setup inside of AdGuard are set to.